Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC a 1911

Feedback Score
    This last spring and summer I have spent a bunch of time hiking in Grizzly and Black bear country. A frequent companion was my Les Baer P2 (or a Colt 80 Series) loaded with 250 grain hard cast flat points going a bit over 950 FPS (a +P load). I primarily carried them in my Milt Sparks 50th Anniversary Summer Special.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    Is that a handload or factory?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Betting handload if not something from Corbon.

250 gr. HCFN @ 950 FPS is definitely a thumper.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    Is that a handload or factory?
    You could say technically both.

I load them, but I am also a class 07 licensed manufacturer. When I actually can get components they tend to go fast. The last time, they sold out in 2 hours of me even saying I had any.

Feedback Score
    Nice....I live in bear county also (S/W Montana)..Carrying a 1911 for anti-bear duty is interesting...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    Nice....I live in bear county also (S/W Montana)..Carrying a 1911 for anti-bear duty is interesting...
    A whole bunch of .45 Colt and .44 Special revolvers have been being used for decades now in revolvers to put down animals.

Why not shoot shoot the same .45 caliber, 250 grain bullet out of an easier to control, faster shooting, higher capacity platform?

I have yet to see anyone outside of the very rare Grandmaster type USPSA shooters who can shoot a revolver as quickly and accurately as they can a semi auto.

Delivering the same heavy type projectiles utilizing a tool that allows the user to deliver those projectiles at a much faster rate makes sense (to me).

When you start delivering 45 Colt/44 Special type loads in a semi auto, that takes things to a different level than your typical 230 grain, 750 FPS FMJ load.

I realize that it breaks stereotypes, but it makes perfect sense, and while I can shoot my Model 29s fairly quickly, there is no question that I am much faster with a Glock 21 or 1911 and being able to put 6-8 rounds in under 1.5 seconds into the critical zone on one of these targets seems pretty practical to me.

Feedback Score
    I use a kore essential and really like it. Holster wise, depends, a vm2 style holster a friend made, serpa or another kydex lined with leather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Like a lot of others here I’m using Milt Sparks / Tony Kanaly’s versions of Bruce Nelson’s Professional and the Summer Special on either a Sparks belt or one of two Nexbelts from their selection of EDC belts

Feedback Score
    img (10).jpeg

I run a Ross Gunleather Paddle with my Commanding Officer. Mine's not for Bear. I have a Henry 45-70 for anything over 300 lbs
    Last edited by Art Blackstock; 10-29-21 at 22:52.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I've been tempted to get a 460 Rowland upper for bear country (for the above stated reasons of capacity and speed), but so far still sticking with my 44 mag revo.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast