Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig 320 safety issues

Feedback Score
    Looks like there is a lawsuit agaisnt sig, from the 320.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301691748.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ap1220 View Post
    Lots of issues seem to come from pre-2019 models and those users with those dated models who did not (voluntarily, mind you), turn in their weapon for the update/recall/what have you, are the weapons subject to the issues that were not actually NDs.

Definitely understand anyone’s hesitancy though.
    Very true. I have a Wilson Combat P320 that was manufactured on 22DEC2019 and it was made with the changes SIG did to overcome the prior mechanical issues. Too many people have been caught in a tizzy over the inaccurate information about the P320 issues. Most all of these lawsuits against SIG over the P320 are frivolous as they were caused by operator error and poor safety practices. People need to read the facts and stop accepting the hype being produced by those who stand to profit from these lawsuits.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Very true. I have a Wilson Combat P320 that was manufactured on 22DEC2019 and it was made with the changes SIG did to overcome the prior mechanical issues. Too many people have been caught in a tizzy over the inaccurate information about the P320 issues. Most all of these lawsuits against SIG over the P320 are frivolous as they were caused by operator error and poor safety practices. People need to read the facts and stop accepting the hype being produced by those who stand to profit from these lawsuits.
    Say what ever makes you feel better about your P320. Until it happens to you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gsd2053 View Post
    Say what ever makes you feel better about your P320. Until it happens to you.
    Exactly, Its not "if" it will happen, its "when" it will happen.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    No facts, no first hand knowledge and opinions plus supositions. Mechanical failure, incorrect or lower quality holster or in the purse, or user error. And the highly trained officers, now that is a suspect statement. However, SIG is bad!��

Feedback Score
    I'm certain there have been a number of researchers trying to duplicate the unintentional discharges. It didn't take long at all for independent "researchers" to figure out the exact drop angle to cause a sear release in the first generation triggers, mainly by using trapeze like fixtures to get the angle "just right". Why has nobody been able to duplicate the latest accusations by now? I'd be really interested to know which holsters the people who had these mysterious discharges were using. Maybe the answer lies in that direction.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I still carry my 320 pro series on and off as my duty pistol. I have been conducting a few tests to see if I can figure out a way to successfully cause it to fail as far as going off by itself, and I have yet to find any way to do it, without seriously bypassing all the safety systems and even then it doesn't do this ever time.

I have even removed parts replicating failures of parts, and with the exception of removing the striker/firing pin block spring, and forcing the striker past the sear, which is quite difficult by the way, it only set off a primed case a couple of times with over a dozen tries. Even with the striker block spring absent, the striker block while not 100% did prevent a discharge more times than not.

I also started thinking about the numbers. Let say there are 1K 320 out in the world, not including the military pistols. If there was 100 reported ND incidents, which to my knowledge there isn't, that's only 1%. I'm not saying any percentage is acceptable when it comes to firearms safety, but 1 percent could easily be attributed to mishandling and or improper equipment, IE holsters. Just something to think about.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 12-07-22 at 07:08.
    Cerified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer
    NRA/LE Firearms Instructor
    ColdBoreCustom.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    I still carry my 320 pro series on and off as my duty pistol. I have been conducting a few tests to see if I can figure out a way to successfully cause it to fail as far as going off by itself, and I have yet to find any way to do it, without seriously bypassing all the safety systems and even then it doesn't do this ever time.

I have even removed parts replicating failures of parts, and with the exception of removing the striker/firing pin block spring, and forcing the striker past the sear, which is quite difficult by the way, it only set off a primed case a couple of times with over a dozen tries. Even with the striker block spring absent, the striker block while not 100% did prevent a discharge more times than not.

I also started thinking about the numbers. Let say there are 1K 320 out in the world, not including the military pistols. If there was 100 reported ND incidents, which to my knowledge there isn't, that's only 1%. I'm not saying any percentage is acceptable when it comes to firearms safety, but 1 percent could easily be attributed to mishandling and or improper equipment, IE holsters. Just something to think about.

TXPO
    Its like the lottery with the P320 then, 0.003% chance of winning, But when you do win, It will cause property damage, Severe injury or WORSE. Gamble is not worth it when there are alot of other PROVEN pistols out there.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Can anyone link the video from the Steel Challenge competitor who had a uncommanded discharge with the pistol holstered, in front of witnesses? Proper holster, nothing in the holster, etc. I thought it was on this forum somewhere, but cannot find it at themoment. The issue there, according to the competitor, is that Sig said a small part was out of spec. (I believe the firing pin.) There's also been at least one case where an officer's pistol was incorrectly assembled, as found by the Sig trained investigating officer.

My current take is this: where there's smoke, there's fire. How much fire is anyone's guess. Probably not a lot, but likely some. It's not like Sig has been forthcoming up to this point. It seems if the pistol is to spec, tolerance stacking is good, etc, the pistol is fine. But there's no way for the average Joe to know specs, etc.

I'm stuck where I was previously. I'll continue to train with one in controlled environments because I'm expected to perform and instruct with the M17. I don't expect any personal problems based purely on statistics, the specific firings schedules, etc. There are supposedly higher levels of QC with .mil pistols. But I won't carry one, and wish they would get to the bottom of this so we could verify individual pistols. If even .01% of them are truly capable of uncommanded discharges, people will continue being shot by their firearm at no fault of their own.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    Can anyone link the video from the Steel Challenge competitor who had a uncommanded discharge with the pistol holstered, in front of witnesses? Proper holster, nothing in the holster, etc. I thought it was on this forum somewhere, but cannot find it at themoment. The issue there, according to the competitor, is that Sig said a small part was out of spec. (I believe the firing pin.) There's also been at least one case where an officer's pistol was incorrectly assembled, as found by the Sig trained investigating officer.

My current take is this: where there's smoke, there's fire. How much fire is anyone's guess. Probably not a lot, but likely some. It's not like Sig has been forthcoming up to this point. It seems if the pistol is to spec, tolerance stacking is good, etc, the pistol is fine. But there's no way for the average Joe to know specs, etc.

I'm stuck where I was previously. I'll continue to train with one in controlled environments because I'm expected to perform and instruct with the M17. I don't expect any personal problems based purely on statistics, the specific firings schedules, etc. There are supposedly higher levels of QC with .mil pistols. But I won't carry one, and wish they would get to the bottom of this so we could verify individual pistols. If even .01% of them are truly capable of uncommanded discharges, people will continue being shot by their firearm at no fault of their own.
    The video is on youtube and easily found. FYI this happened back in 2019, and was just recently brought to light by the Youtuber. Also he stated Sig told him is was a faulty striker return spring. One, Sig would not have told him why, and second, the striker return spring, in no way could cause the pistol to fire on it's own. It has no effect on the fire control assembly and could not have caused an uncommand fire.

The second reports by the supposedly certified Sig Police armorer, was a Sgt with the Milwaukee police department who made the statement Sig had had left the striker safety lever spring out of the pistol he checked and that was a cause to their uncommand fire issues. Again, this did not have any effect on the fire control unit, as Sig deleted their striker block spring from the design, during the VUP, as they redesigned the striker safety lever which did not use the spring any longer, but actually uses the trigger bar for both engagement and disengagement in the new design. The Armorer should have known this, if he had kept up with his certification and bulletins from Sig.

Now again, I'm not saying the 320 may or may not still have an issue, but there are a lot of folks disseminating information that is not 100% factual and this is causing a lot of confusion.

As I did with the drop fie issue, I'm going to reserve my judgement until the dust settles, and this recent lawsuit and evidence is sorted out.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 12-07-22 at 09:10.
    Cerified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer
    NRA/LE Firearms Instructor
    ColdBoreCustom.com

Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast