Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig 320 safety issues

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin248 View Post
    Notably the military issue p320's do have a manual safety and there aren't any reports I've seen of the military pistols firing on their own.
    That tells me that military p320 are carried with an empty chamber.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    You should've seen the clearing barrels, it was in a way funny. And yes, with empty chambers. Funny story on that topic later.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    You should've seen the clearing barrels, it was in a way funny. And yes, with empty chambers. Funny story on that topic later.
    Please... The suspense is killing me. I just need a better reason to trade my 320 for a P220 Legion. I'm not going to lie, I'm just not a striker kind of guy if I have options.

<<<< Says the guy who still carries his j-frame more than his P365.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I can’t speak for any other branches, but at my position with USAF Security Forces, we carry loaded chamber and safety off. We’ve been primarily M18 equipped at our base for over a year. Had the first ND into the clearing barrel about a month ago. Can’t say I’m impressed by the M18s engineering, though it carries well and with the small grip module it handles nicely.
    Last edited by Maverick07; 09-09-21 at 18:06.

Feedback Score
    The only thing separating the P320’s problems from other manufacturers problems is how much the internet has grown over the years and how fast news and opinions can spread. That and Glock fans were/are pissed that Sig won the military contract and are determined to right the wrong.

My agency issues Sig P320’s. We sent ours back to Sig to have the “upgrades” installed a couple years back. We’ve had no issues with them. Having said that, the only thing I like about them is the interchangeable grip size. Other than that, as someone else said, they are just meh.

We used to issue Glocks. There were serious problems with Glock Gen 4’s when they came out years ago. They ended up sending everyone new recoil springs after having problems with ejection. And we did see instances of that happen prior to swapping them out.

I shoot and carry a Glock. Not because it has the best features or design (because it doesn’t) but because I shoot it the best. I’m not a fan of Glock. Their features are old, they took forever to come out with ambi features and when they come out with a new model they come out with a 2.0 version six months afterwards. How lame is that.

I used to carry H&K USP. If I shot the VP9 as well as I do a Glock the VP9 would be my gun. IMO, H&K puts out a far superior product because they do more in house testing before release. But hell, a couple years back when it was cool to do all the YouTube torture tests the VP9 didn’t fare as well as some others. Then folks were calling it crap.

If you’re looking to hate a particular model or brand there’s always going to be a reason. Carry what you enjoy shooting the best and don’t look back.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    Please... The suspense is killing me. I just need a better reason to trade my 320 for a P220 Legion. I'm not going to lie, I'm just not a striker kind of guy if I have options.

<<<< Says the guy who still carries his j-frame more than his P365.
    Ok, 1987 time frame, FRG(W.Germany) The clearing barrels where outside of the MP station and also at the Armory's. I was in the 503rd MP Co (3AD) The 3 Plt's at HQ alternated duties, one week each, training, road patrol and post/general officer/COS security. This would remain unless we were in the field which ended up being a lot(Graf/Ho). When we drew our pistol(slide locked), our Co policy was to go directly to the clearing barrel, duty NCO insured pistol was empty, user pointed it into the clearing barrel, slide forward, pulled trigger and holstered, then magazine went in.

When we did the road patrol, we augmented 284th MP Co, their primary mission was road patrol. They would do the same as us at the beginning but clearing at shifts end was different. For the longest time, they were allowed to self clear-until one morning. We didn't clear until back at our company as we had a short drive.

0700 or so after a long night one MP goes out, pulls his pistol, racks it, removes the magazine, points it into the barrel and you guessed it, BANG! Of course you now have 35 MP's laughing their ass off and the shift LT(284th) screaming like a little bitch. So the LT orders that an NCO has to personally observe the process from then on. The very next morning, you have a pissed NCO go out to the clearing barrel not really paying attention to the 1st MP that comes up and guess what?--yup, repeat of the day before! Of course the laughing started with the LT even more pissed as we were saying "guess a LT has to watch now!" It ended with our(503rd) SSG ushering us into our vehicles because the LT wanted to start in on us. We were off to the side waiting to go so we kind of stood out and were known to be a wee bit rowdy. Next day our LT went for the ride as the exchange between their LT and our SSG got ugly.(20 year vs. 1 year stuff)

Best part of that road patrol was the liaison patrol on night shift with the Polizei in Sachsenhausen. For some reason nobody liked it, one would ride with two Polizei, assist them with German nationals and make arrest on the service member and turn over to a road patrol to take back to the Co. Bonus was a brew at lunch-but the sarge didn't know--of course when I became one, told the liaison to limit to one!

Of course, many more stories with those liaison patrols.

Oh- and clearing barrels, about every other month a new lid was made and installed, haha

My personal opinion of all of these so called "un commanded discharges"? I call bullshit, there was a causative factor and that is the user. Whether it be a draw string, piece of clothing, etc. or a finger-the trigger was pulled. In all of my 30 years and all the excuses, it all came down to the user finger f'ing the gun. Bathroom stalls, UPS trucks, police cars, rack full of carbines, you name it. Of course "people" are not immune, plenty of calls in the homes and cars all of the time. Worst one was a .308 from a 4th floor Apt.-think that one made it to the 1st floor.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    My personal opinion of all of these so called "un commanded discharges"? I call bullshit, there was a causative factor and that is the user. Whether it be a draw string, piece of clothing, etc. or a finger-the trigger was pulled. In all of my 30 years and all the excuses, it all came down to the user finger f'ing the gun. Bathroom stalls, UPS trucks, police cars, rack full of carbines, you name it. Of course "people" are not immune, plenty of calls in the homes and cars all of the time. Worst one was a .308 from a 4th floor Apt.-think that one made it to the 1st floor.
    Thanks for the stories and the good intel. As a cop I saw a few "oops" moments too. My favorite was this young 'suck-up 'kid that cleaned the Lt.'s 1911 for him once because he did not know how to to a complete disassembly. The kid took it apart and made every piece clean enough to eat with. When the kid went to return it, he walked in to the office at shift change with about 30 people near by... Pulls out the 1911 and goes "Wow, I can't believe the trigger on this thing", points it up in the air, and BOOM! Yeah, holes in the locker room, holes in the car port at the gas station...

I agree with you 100% on the un-commanded stuff being BS now that the P320 has been fixed. It's really not a bad gun. I want to not like it, but with the Wilson grip module on it it fits my hand great and is a good shooter. I may now just get an M18 carry size slide for it and toss on a red dot.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    For a number of years I operated a Business across from a parking lot used by a number of local city policeman, many of whom I knew. Sometimes at Shift Change an impromptu meeting would pop-up between several cops & myself. Different subjects came up but the funniest were 'naked women stories" & accidental discharges. Usually with handguns, but one involved a shotgun discharging & destroying the lights atop the patrol car. As I recall, once a mirror was destroyed in a bathroom, & of course, the stories about handguns sliding out in the middle of the floor...from the "crapper stalls" !!

Feedback Score
    Active Duty Army here. My unit guards one of the gates at one of the largest bases in the US 24/7. The m17s are carried loaded chamber with safety on. I used to be in an MP unit, all pistols where carried with loaded chamber and on-safe during road patrol. When I was stationed in Germany and we had gate duty it was with loaded chambers, on safe. Truth in lending, I'd leave the pistols in the Arms room, I prefer a rifle. Different units and installations may have different TTPs. I will point out that the GWOT brought better trigger discipline and muzzle awareness.
    Last edited by cd228; 09-12-21 at 18:47.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    They are not. The services are to carrying the M17/M18 in the manners each did with M9s.

Army is doing chambered, safety on, USAF chambered safety off.

Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast