Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig 320 safety issues

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CRT2 View Post
    Found this interesting:
    “ Around 400 P320s were procured for the Canadian Joint Task Force 2 special forces unit (JTF-2) in 2019, but these were withdrawn and the earlier P226 pistols (also manufactured by SIG Sauer) reinstated following a misfire that injured a soldier during a training exercise in November 2020; JTF-2 was the only Canadian military unit using the P320.[19] In June 2021, a technical investigation found that the misfire was due to "a partial depression of the trigger by a foreign object combined with simultaneous movement of the slide [...] that then allowed a round to be fired whilst the pistol was still holstered" and that the usage of a holster designed for a different pistol was a contributory factor; the P320 itself was not at fault nor were there any issues with how it had been procured by Canadian defence officials (since questions had been raised as to whether these officials were aware of the drop safety issues). However, the pistols would remain in storage pending a third-party safety assessment.[20] The safety assessment and other proceedings related to the misfire were concluded by June 2022, with a decision to reinstate the P320 being taken towards the end of that month.[2”
    So what I gather, its not "duty" rated because dirt, sand, carbon build up or pocket lint while jumping will make it go off? GOT IT!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    So what I gather, its not "duty" rated because dirt, sand, carbon build up or pocket lint while jumping will make it go off? GOT IT!
    Believe this is the appropriate response.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    There's an object depressing the trigger and the user is not using a holster designed for the weapon, but somehow it's still the gun's fault?

This is why we can't have nice things.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM516 View Post
    There's an object depressing the trigger and the user is not using a holster designed for the weapon, but somehow it's still the gun's fault?

This is why we can't have nice things.

It also does not state what the foreign object is? Dirt? Piece of webbing from a bag? shoe lace? chunk of lingerie from a tranny hooker? Without knowing exactly know what they were referring to, it could be anything.

Feedback Score
    It also does not state what the foreign object is? Dirt? Piece of webbing from a bag? shoe lace? chunk of lingerie from a tranny hooker? Without knowing exactly know what they were referring to, it could be anything.
    It says in the quote that the P320 was not at fault. If this were any other firearm like say, a Glock, and the operator somehow managed to stick it into a holster for a S&W, and then something got in the holster and caused a discharge, nobody would think twice to blame the operator for being too stupid to use the correct holster. But since it's the P320, it's the gun's fault the operator used the wrong holster and stuff got in there.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    Can anyone link the video from the Steel Challenge competitor who had a uncommanded discharge with the pistol holstered, in front of witnesses? Proper holster, nothing in the holster, etc. I thought it was on this forum somewhere, but cannot find it at themoment. The issue there, according to the competitor, is that Sig said a small part was out of spec. (I believe the firing pin.) There's also been at least one case where an officer's pistol was incorrectly assembled, as found by the Sig trained investigating officer.

My current take is this: where there's smoke, there's fire. How much fire is anyone's guess. Probably not a lot, but likely some. It's not like Sig has been forthcoming up to this point. It seems if the pistol is to spec, tolerance stacking is good, etc, the pistol is fine. But there's no way for the average Joe to know specs, etc.

I'm stuck where I was previously. I'll continue to train with one in controlled environments because I'm expected to perform and instruct with the M17. I don't expect any personal problems based purely on statistics, the specific firings schedules, etc. There are supposedly higher levels of QC with .mil pistols. But I won't carry one, and wish they would get to the bottom of this so we could verify individual pistols. If even .01% of them are truly capable of uncommanded discharges, people will continue being shot by their firearm at no fault of their own.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've given fair warning to everyone I am carrying my 320 this week.

TXPO
    Cerified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer
    NRA/LE Firearms Instructor
    ColdBoreCustom.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Need to avoid you then, wouldn’t want to double their chances of being around two simultaneous “uncommanded discharges”!��

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CRT2 View Post
    Need to avoid you then, wouldn’t want to double their chances of being around two simultaneous “uncommanded discharges”!��
    What if you were around each other, and once discharged, and the other jumped. and the "vibration" discharged the second.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    What if you were around each other, and once discharged, and the other jumped. and the "vibration" discharged the second.
    Wouldn’t be simultaneous then!

Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast