Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig 320 safety issues

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    One angle I haven't seen mentioned in regards to other guns having similar NDs is the "SERPA factor". We aren't too far removed from when Serpa holsters went from being the "in thing" to most people recognizing how potentially dangerous they were. It seemed like every few weeks/months we were hearing about another person adding a hole to their leg or foot at a class, range, or in a cop car trying to draw or holster their pistol in a Serpa. Most of these incidents were with Glocks, but the pistol didn't really receive that much criticism. People (rightly) blamed the holster design, as well as poor handling.

For the 320, we are again seeing holsters and mishandling cause NDs, but unlike before, we are seeing a large percentage of folks blame the pistol simply because there is "blood in the water" left over from the drop safety thing. Given enough time, this likely will blow over, but as long as people think they can get an easy buck, they'll keep filing lawsuits, and that just prolongs the sense of "blood in the water."
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    Another angle that I have not heard mentioned is the amount of space that's forward of the trigger inside the trigger guard. It shouldn't matter if you're handling your pistol correctly, but it seems to me that there's a lot of space for wandering booger pickers to get in there. One thing's for sure. You're not going to rest your finger on the front of the trigger guard.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Another angle that I have not heard mentioned is the amount of space that's forward of the trigger inside the trigger guard. It shouldn't matter if you're handling your pistol correctly, but it seems to me that there's a lot of space for wandering booger pickers to get in there. One thing's for sure. You're not going to rest your finger on the front of the trigger guard.
    Yes.

I'm not a Glock fan, and one of my complaints is the small trigger guard window..Well, if you're going to have a light trigger with short pull a small window is probably a good idea!

I've had a couple Shields and they made me a little nervous because similar to the P320 they had larger windows, a short, light trigger pull, and no manual safety. And the safety that is available is tiny and easy to miss.

The Springfield XDM grip safety isn't a bad idea at all and perhaps they should be more common on these single-action striker guns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    The Springfield XDM grip safety isn't a bad idea at all and perhaps they should be more common on these single-action striker guns.
    That would be a good idea and I never had a problem with it when I had an XD.

I wouldn't advocate doing it all day as a routine, but the grip safety opened up some on the fly carry options such as sticking it in a coat pocket that I wouldn't try with a Glock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    That would be a good idea and I never had a problem with it when I had an XD.

I wouldn't advocate doing it all day as a routine, but the grip safety opened up some on the fly carry options such as sticking it in a coat pocket that I wouldn't try with a Glock.
    I have to admit I don't exactly how the XDM grip safety works.

Does it block the trigger? Disconnect the sear? I don't know.

But I'm getting close to trusting mine to carry. I'm just giving it more shooting because it doesn't have the record of an M&P, HK, Beretta, etc.

But so far so good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I have to admit I don't exactly how the XDM grip safety works.

Does it block the trigger? Disconnect the sear? I don't know.

But I'm getting close to trusting mine to carry. I'm just giving it more shooting because it doesn't have the record of an M&P, HK, Beretta, etc.

But so far so good.
    Been awhile since I have owned one, but fairly sure not pressing the grip safety would prevent the trigger and slide from moving.

Feedback Score
    The grip safety is likely the reason the XD has been shunned by law enforcement. Unfortunately, unless the grip safety is fully depressed it is not possible to rack the slide. On the surface this doesn't seem to be bad, but if an officer is wounded and has lost the use of one arm their life gets even more difficult, especially if their overall strength is waning. IIRC, this situation cannot be circumvented by modifying the action, it's built into the action. The XD grip safety is an even worse feature that magazine disconnects were. I've had perhaps four XDs in my life and really liked them until the grip safety issue was pointed out to me. I was okay about replacing roll pins regularly, and my XDs seemed to feed reliably (some didn't), and there are other peripheral issues that don't seem to affect every gun but I sold my last pair of them and never looked back. Here's a link to the first hit of my search for "Springfield XD grip safety", I suppose we could always pin the grip safety as some claim to have done. https://legionary.com/5-problems-wit...ld-know-about/
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Been awhile since I have owned one, but fairly sure not pressing the grip safety would prevent the trigger and slide from moving.
    It does that at least, yes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
    The grip safety is likely the reason the XD has been shunned by law enforcement. Unfortunately, unless the grip safety is fully depressed it is not possible to rack the slide. On the surface this doesn't seem to be bad, but if an officer is wounded and has lost the use of one arm their life gets even more difficult, especially if their overall strength is waning. IIRC, this situation cannot be circumvented by modifying the action, it's built into the action. The XD grip safety is an even worse feature that magazine disconnects were. I've had perhaps four XDs in my life and really liked them until the grip safety issue was pointed out to me. I was okay about replacing roll pins regularly, and my XDs seemed to feed reliably (some didn't), and there are other peripheral issues that don't seem to affect every gun but I sold my last pair of them and never looked back. Here's a link to the first hit of my search for "Springfield XD grip safety", I suppose we could always pin the grip safety as some claim to have done. https://legionary.com/5-problems-wit...ld-know-about/
    If you can't grip the gun well enough to hold it and point it it doesn't matter if you can't rack the slide.

The slide can racked using the rear sight or optic or edge of the front of the slide just like any other gun.

The grip safety seems to be at least as positive as a top design 1911 grip safety to me.

I don't understand how not being able to rack it if you can't remotely grip it well is an issue.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I remember correctly the grip safety and one of the pins (trigger pin I believe) are prone to breaking. I never had an issue with my HS2000 but I didnt put a huge amount of rounds through it.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast