Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FTRB issue with a 11.5 BCM

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Duplicate

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrin View Post
    Gen 3 pmags, newish NHMTGs, refurbished NHMTGs. All aluminum have either sprinco or SAW red springs w/ magpul followers.

Upper is not getting shit canned. Green spring from sprinco is inbound and I will update the thread after next range sesh.
    Yeah I didn't think you were shit canning it based on your replies. Just laughing at the folks who were telling you to when a $20 spring could correct the issue.

Sounds like you can rule out the mags. Was just curious since no one had asked until now. Look forward to your range report.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    That's a 0.2% failure rate. Higher than I'd feel comfortable with, given quality ammo, but not a crazy rate.
    Dude. Don't make me do math that requires a decimal point prior to having caffeine. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrin View Post
    ETA : in addition to o-rings, also running Colt gold extractor springs.
    Get rid of the O rings. Colt springs are designed to give proper tension on the extractor without an O ring. You might have too much tension on the extractor, preventing it from snapping over the case rim.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Get rid of the O rings. Colt springs are designed to give proper tension on the extractor without an O ring. You might have too much tension on the extractor, preventing it from snapping over the case rim.
    This sounds likely. I would try this first.

Feedback Score
    *If* the barrel is so terribly overgassed then it’s possible that what appears to be FTRB is actually bolt bounce where the BCG is slamming home so hard it comes out of battery, but this usually only happens on full auto.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

FTRB issue with a 11.5 BCM

What happens when you put the primary upper on the training lower? Do you have another lower with a carbine RE?

I don’t think the issue is caused by the lower, but if it’s easy to take it out of the equation, then it’s worth doing. It sounds like the FTRBs only occur when the chamber is dirty, though it’s been sent to BCM, and they say the chamber is GTG, but it could still be too tight (I haven’t read of any instances of BCMs being tight enough to induce malfs).
    Last edited by grizzman; 08-20-21 at 22:51.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Failure To Return to Battery also occurs when the action spring is weak.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A few things to consider, and my guess is that you have recently given your weapon a GOOD cleaning and that it is properly lubed. With those primary issues being out of the way, the next is #3.

1. Dirty weapon
    2. Insufficient lube
    3. Weak main action spring
    4. Weak ammunition
    5. Loose carrier key
    6. Misaligned gas tube
    7. Leaking gas block
    8. Weakened / loose bolt rings
    9. Bad magazines
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    What happens when you put the primary upper on the training lower? Do you have another lower with a carbine RE?

I don’t think the issue is caused by the lower, but if it’s easy to take it out of the equation, then it’s worth doing. It sounds like the FTRBs only occur when the chamber is dirty, though it’s been sent to BCM, and they say the chamber is GTG, but it could still be too tight (I haven’t read of any instances of BCMs being tight enough to induce malfs).
    I changed both to A5's. The trainer gets changes first for vetting and if all goes well for a few months, I make the change to the primary and then test it.

Another note to when the upper was at BCM, it was run in full auto and the gas tube was changed prophylactically.

To MistWolf, I get the feeling the Colt rifle spring doesn't have enough strength (it's a new spring). It's my understanding the green Sprinco has a bit more punch, and is on the way.

To Stickman, of the list, I've eliminated all except #7 and will eliminate #3 soon.
    Last edited by Patrin; 08-25-21 at 12:26.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast