Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Colt CR6960

Feedback Score

New Colt CR6960

I'm considering one of the new production 6960 guns with the CR and wanted to see what the general consensus was about the CR Colts versus the LE Colts. I watched an interested video on YouTube about the differences between the CR6920 and LE6920 and it seemed like the new Colts are being produced with outsourced parts that can't be verified that they are truly milspec like the previous LE Colts. I can pick up a CR6960 new for about $1000.

Also wanted to see what people thought about the CR6960 versus the FN SRP G2 rifle. I don't see a lot information on forums and such about the FN SPR G2 models. Are they not popular for a reason? I can get a new SRP for about $900.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    They’re the exact same thing except the markings are engraved instead of stamped, and the serial prefix is CR instead of LE.

IMO that guy is hard up for money and put out that video to get a bunch of clicks. He’s a blowhard at this point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    They’re the exact same thing except the markings are engraved instead of stamped, and the serial prefix is CR instead of LE.

IMO that guy is hard up for money and put out that video to get a bunch of clicks. He’s a blowhard at this point.
    I don’t know if we’re watching the same video or not, but I clearly saw differences between the two. Pretty clear that parts were being outsourced. Now I don’t know if that means anything or not.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
    I don’t know if we’re watching the same video or not, but I clearly saw differences between the two. Pretty clear that parts were being outsourced. Now I don’t know if that means anything or not.
    Colt has always outsourced parts.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Colt has always outsourced parts.
    I agree but at one time QC meant more than it probably does now. They were good when they were the only game in town and didn't have to be. Buying a Colt appears to be a crap shoot now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It seems the CR version of the 6960 has the same OEM handguard that was used in the Trooper, instead of the more feature rich handguard of the discontinued LE6960. It also no longer has an ambi safety, and the SL-S stock. The barrel should still be the lightweight mid-gas unit used in the LE6960.

Chris's video clearly showed that components are not marked in the same way as before, but it does not prove that they're outsourced and certainly doesn't prove that they're of lesser quality than before. Hasn't Colt been outsourcing components for years?

I still haven't seen any videos demonstrating the quality differences between the LE series and the CR series. $1,000 is a pretty good price for an AR in these times, but it's still unknown if these particular Colts are as good as they used to be.
    Last edited by grizzman; 08-17-21 at 18:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Chris's video clearly showed that components are not marked in the same way as before, but it does not prove that they're outsourced and certainly doesn't prove that they're of lesser quality than before. Hasn't Colt been outsourcing components for years?
    I think his point was that if Colt has always marked their own components a certain way for 50 years, why would they all the sudden stop or just sporadically stop on certain parts? I think the safe assumption is that they are not produced by Colt. But again, I don't know if that really changes their quality or not.

Feedback Score
    Bet you money he gave that reply because he recently bought one and is butthurt that someone like Chris pointed out how bad he got ripped off.

I would not touch a recent Colt product with a ten foot pole. An older model Colt? Heck yes, but hard pass on this new stuff.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Bet you money he gave that reply because he recently bought one and is butthurt that someone like Chris pointed out how bad he got ripped off.

I would not touch a recent Colt product with a ten foot pole. An older model Colt? Heck yes, but hard pass on this new stuff.
    Good to know. I do know all these older Colt fanatics can be very particular about their stamps, rollmarks, letters, etc. If we're paying close to the same price as the LE models, but with less proof marks, it makes me think these CR guns might not be worth as much as the LE models in the future.

Feedback Score
    Good to know. I do know all these older Colt fanatics can be very particular about their stamps, rollmarks, letters, etc. If we're paying close to the same price as the LE models, but with less proof marks, it makes me think these CR guns might not be worth as much as the LE models in the future.
    If those special markings, stamps, rollmarks, etc. meant nothing - We would all be buying unmarked crap from PSA for much less money and be happy about it.

But those markings DO have meaning and no they are not the same as PSA parts so we gladly pay a premium for them.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast