Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Best A1 stock kit

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    As far as I know, Fulton Armory has only had the A1 aluminum trap doors over the last couple of years incorrectly paired with A2 butt plates. Though I guess you weren't going for a perfect clone because of the A1 stock.
    And that would explain why the latch is different and I never even noticed until you mentioned that.

Dang it now off to see if I can swap the latches out.
    "Knowledge without experience is just information"--Mark Twain

Hindsight is 6920

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    Quick historical note. Around 2006 or so, Numrich sold the A1 trapdoor stocks (probably national guard take offs) for about $21 and the older, non-trapdoor A1-length stocks for about $7. Numrich published a letter from a battalion armorer in Iraq who had bought a bunch of the non-trapdoor stocks and installed them on request for persons of smaller stature; he specifically mentioned females and Mexicans. He thanked Numrich for making these stocks available because the A2 stocks, as issued, were almost unusable for the smaller recruits.
    That’s pretty cool. Makes my clone a bit more correct. My command wouldn’t have allowed us to do stuff like that even if it was a benefit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    And that would explain why the latch is different and I never even noticed until you mentioned that.

Dang it now off to see if I can swap the latches out.
    Just another FYI, but the doors as well as the latches are different between A1 and A2 trap doors. Can't just change out the latch and be clone correct either.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just another FYI, but the doors as well as the latches are different between A1 and A2 trap doors. Can't just change out the latch and be clone correct either.
    Well dang me. Thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    PSA/H&R recently introduced a repro trap door A1 stock and from the pictures it seems like a pretty well done copy of the original trap door A1 stock. It might even be able to substitute for a repro Colt CS stock if the butt plates are are interchangeable with A2 butt plates.

I'm hoping they sell the stock bodies as a stand alone item.
    Update on this post.

I received one of the PSA/H&R repro A1 trap door stocks and it was a disappointment. Also, it is indeed the same exact stock as the A1 trapdoor stock that was available through Linemount, just for more money.

The stock body itself is okay if you drill out the threaded hole for the sling swivel screw so that you can actually tighten up on the sling swivel so it doesn't rattle around loose. Foam fill is the modern soft type, so that kind of sucks since the support web between the buffer tube and the cleaning kit hollow is only made up of that soft and flimsy foam. And that's how A1 stocks were, but it was the hard type foam. Butt plate isn't really compatible with authentic aluminum A1 trap doors since they fit loose and will likely rattle. But you will want to replace the trapdoor it comes with because it's pure Chinese pot metal crap. Authentic A1 butt plates won't fit the H&R stock (too tight), but A2 butt plates seem to fit okay.

So there ya go, not worth it IMO. Very disappointed as I was hoping to replace three of my Brownells A1 stocks with these.

Some Pics.

Last edited by 556Cliff; 10-24-23 at 20:14.

Feedback Score
    I’m building a mk12 clone. What do you guys recommend for the most accurate repro?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456