Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dented ammo question

Feedback Score

Dented ammo question

I've never worried about a light or mild dent in a brass case.

Recently someone told me more than a very slight dent in the neck of the brass (5.56) was dangerous.

I disagreed stating the brass will fire-form to the chamber and there is nothing dangerous about it.

What say you?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I've never worried about a light or mild dent in a brass case.

Recently someone told me more than a very slight dent in the neck of the brass (5.56) was dangerous.

I disagreed stating the brass will fire-form to the chamber and there is nothing dangerous about it.

What say you?
    I agree with you on the fireforming.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I say shoot it.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Not an issue if the ammo isn't overpressure to start with, and the gun is adequately strong (any decent AR, Mini-14, most bolt-actions, etc.).

I don't fire anything with bullet setback though, which usually comes from a double feed as a result of mag not locked all the way in, or sometimes a poor quality mag.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Not an issue if the ammo isn't overpressure to start with, and the gun is adequately strong (any decent AR, Mini-14, most bolt-actions, etc.).

I don't fire anything with bullet setback though
    , which usually comes from a double feed as a result of mag not locked all the way in, or sometimes a poor quality mag.
    Crucial point here.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Crucial point here.
    Bullet setback:

I pushed my luck with this on some 10mm Blazer in a Glock 20. Nothing happened but I wouldn't do it again.

Thanks for the advice. Gun in question was indeed a Mini 14. (584)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    As long as it "plunks" in and out of the chamber easily, shoot it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've fire formed some way Effed up cartridges in 5.56. One so bad that it split the side of the brass when it formed out. No problems at all.

Bullet set back doesn't worry me too much depending on the cartridge and severity. I did a chrono test on 2 different 77 gr bullets where one, due to shape (TMK vs OTM), seated much deeper into the case. Same powder charge for both, and the velocities were the same. In other words, no apparent increase in pressure in that example.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not sure how a dent in the neck would be more extreme vs the various wildcat rounds that need fire forming...it is nice that nosler now provides 280AI brass ready to go these days.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've fire formed some way Effed up cartridges in 5.56. One so bad that it split the side of the brass when it formed out. No problems at all.

Bullet set back doesn't worry me too much depending on the cartridge and severity. I did a chrono test on 2 different 77 gr bullets where one, due to shape (TMK vs OTM), seated much deeper into the case. Same powder charge for both, and the velocities were the same. In other words, no apparent increase in pressure in that example.
    I think it is more of an issue with handguns than bottle neck rifle cartridges. It is sort of creating additional free bore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast