Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with my 9mm build

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Problems with my 9mm build

I have a 9mm pistol, I just got done with, and I’m having problems getting it to run. Lots of stove pipes!
    New Frontier side charging upper
    Kaw valley precision ramped 9mm bcg
    5D 9mm lower
    Mil-spec lpk
    Mil-spec carbine buffer tube
    Ballistic Advantage 8.3” 9mm barrel
    Kaw valley 7.5 oz 9mm buffer
    Springco Red carbine spring
    9” m-lock hand guard
    KAK ind. flash can
    Wolf 115 gr steel case junk
    And of course, my only 9mm magazine (ETS 40 round clear mag)

When I hand cycle it, it is flawless.
    Yesterday, when I first shot it, it was setup full weight, with the Springco red spring. I could only get through five rounds, maximum without a malfunction. Recoil was sharp.
    The type of malfunction would be failure to extract...it would stove pipe, the spent case, and try to load another round.
    So, last night I removed the weight from the bcg, and started fresh.
    Today, was about the same...malfunction, but seemed to recoil less without the weight.
    So, I removed the Springco, and installed an SI flat wire carbine spring.
    With this set up, it was a single shot, stove pipe situation.
    So I figured, I’m going the wrong way.
    Anyway, now I’m wondering what to try next?

Should my next step be to buy an actual Glock 9mm magazine?
    Or, is the ammo just junk? I mean it does seem like the ammo could be too low of pressure, to actually cycle. But the mag was cheap, and it does really seem like junk.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    I have no experience with glock mag carbines, but I would definitely try a factory 17 mag to see if it helps. Also load some decent 9mm. It should run with the wolf, but try something else just to see.

You got a whole truckload of variable factors goin on there. Start narrowing down one thing at a time. I have heard glock mag 9mms can be finicky about the ejector position and guys sometimes gave to tweak it just a little bit to get reliable ejection. Like I said though, I don't have a glock mag lower so I can't help with the specifics.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    I have no experience with glock mag carbines, but I would definitely try a factory 17 mag to see if it helps. Also load some decent 9mm. It should run with the wolf, but try something else just to see.

You got a whole truckload of variable factors goin on there. Start narrowing down one thing at a time. I have heard glock mag 9mms can be finicky about the ejector position and guys sometimes gave to tweak it just a little bit to get reliable ejection. Like I said though, I don't have a glock mag lower so I can't help with the specifics.
    Ahh, the ejector! I did install the ejector seated all the way in the back. That seems feasible.
    Thank you very much!
    I’m about to go to Cabelas, I will buy a Glock 17 mag. I also want to try a Magpul g17 mag.
    I will also see what they have for 9mm ammo.
    I am new to the 9mm band wagon.
    I have all .40 s/w, and .45 acp.
    Last edited by camoman; 08-21-21 at 10:53.

Feedback Score
    The Glock magazine is a good idea. I’ve never had any issues with my ETS magazines but the Glock magazine is the gold standard.

Also check your extractor tension. You could try adding an M4 extractor donut or a stronger spring.

Finally, put the weight back in and try a .308 spring. Part of your problem could be the bolt opening before the pressure has dropped enough.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This all sounds like great advice, thank you all.
    So, I went to Cabelas yesterday, and they didn’t have Glock 17 mags. They had Glock 19 mags, and Magpul 9mm pmags.
    I bought two 27 round pmags, and some Winchester 115grain 9x19.
    I will follow all advice listed, when I have time.
    I have yet to find time to take it out, but when I do I will report back.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    At the range right now, so far a complete success! I bent the ejector as close to the bolt, without rubbing, that I felt comfortable. I brought my linesman pliers, just in case.
    I installed the Springco red spring.
    So far 27 rounds out the pmag, and 20 rounds out the ets, zero failures of any kind.
    But, that was shooting the Winchester 115 grain fmj, I forgot to bring the Wolf 115 grain fmj ammo, so I’m not sure if the problem was the ejector, or the Wolf ammo.
    Next range visit I need to bring some Wolf, but I am happy with my results.
    Thanks to all, for all your suggestions! I really do appreciate the responses!
    Now, I have another pmag to dump.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I also wanted to add, I did not reinstall the bcg weight.
    I was actually in quite a hurry today, and totally forgot.
    Now that it seems to be running pretty good, and the recoil is not terrible, should I even bother?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by camoman View Post
    I also wanted to add, I did not reinstall the bcg weight.
    I was actually in quite a hurry today, and totally forgot.
    Now that it seems to be running pretty good, and the recoil is not terrible, should I even bother?
    How far are you ejecting brass?

Your reciprocating mass is probably OK without the weight - bulk 9mm ball is relatively mild, and you have an 8.3" barrel. I would suggest that yes, you should install the bolt weight if you run hotter (NATO spec or +P) ammunition.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 08-23-21 at 02:21.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    KVP appears to use a M16 extractor. I had a lot of similar stoppages with a Faxon BCG, that also uses a M16 extractor. I tried the stock extractor spring and a Colt one on a Colt M16 extractor. Tuning the ejector did not fix the problem. If I remember correctly, using a stiffer action spring made it worse. Using lighter ammo made it worse.

Using a no-name, gunshow garbage BCG with a 9mm extractor solved my problem, and it runs like a sewing machine with any garbo ammo.
    Last edited by 1168; 08-23-21 at 09:18.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just re installed the weight. I’m gonna make it to the range in a little bit, with Wolf, and Winchester ball ammo. I’ll report back after I put some ammo through it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast