Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: M193 vs 9mm JHP cost vs effectiveness, other factors...

Feedback Score
    Comes down to the mission, I personally Carry a 45ACP 230 grain hollow points and a 5.56 rifle with M193 which is very effective. You want the round that does the most damage to a target to end the threat the fastest. If I could carry a rifle daily no matter how little of a chance of needing it I would if I could.
    Last edited by zack991; 11-20-21 at 23:59.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    I personally Carry a 45ACP 230 grain hollow points and a 5.56 rifle with M193 which is very effective.
    Have you researched the fleet yaw effects on M193? It is not as consistent as other options.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not to derail the discussion, but I think a real challenge for a private citizen is the lack of good data on self defense engagements. I have a military background, and I was always trained to review AARs and get an “most likely” and “most dangerous” enemy COA before stepping out the door. I admittedly have not taken a ton of classes, but much of the info I’ve gotten on self defense shootings is anecdotal.

I think far more people use a rifle defensively today than since the 19th century. For me, there is no reason not to grab a rifle if I’m home and something goes bump in the night. I think M193 is a “good enough” choice, and far superior to Green Tip for a civilian, but there are better options. That said, I’ve been able to find serviceable 9mm JHPs like Winchester personal defense and Federal classic for only a few cents more per round than 9mm NATO ball, so it’s not a major investment to have plenty on hand.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Have you researched the fleet yaw effects on M193? It is not as consistent as other options.
    I have been happy using it for a simple training round as well as a basic self defense load. I like the black hills 77grain round they offer for my go to war kit. I hate the green tip crap everyone talks up. We had issues with it overseas just zipping through and not doing much damage to the targets.
    Last edited by zack991; 11-21-21 at 17:03.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have been happy using it for a simple training round as well as a basic self defense load. I like the black hills 77grain round they offer for my go to war kit. I hate the green tip crap everyone talks up. We had issues with it overseas just zipping through and not doing much damage to the targets.
    In A-Stan I saw a dude run about 50 meters after taking multiple hits from Green Tip.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have been happy using it for a simple training round as well as a basic self defense load. I like the black hills 77grain round they offer for my go to war kit.
    Why not use the BH 77 grain load as first line since you already have it?

Feedback Score
    I dont have a lot of it on hand, the price is insane for it right now. I have 4 mags loaded in my kit for a shitty day. M193 out of a 16 inch LMT will do the job for the vast majority of things.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Comes down to the mission, I personally Carry a 45ACP 230 grain hollow points and a 5.56 rifle with M193 which is very effective. You want the round that does the most damage to a target to end the threat the fastest. If I could carry a rifle daily no matter how little of a chance of needing it I would if I could.
    I hear it all the time from 9mm shooters at work and I laugh. Every time there is a major FBI shooting where the 9mm fails to stop a bad guy, they will go running around with their hair on fire to find the next magic bullet that their female officers can handle instead of holding higher standards for employment. Why I don't care what the FBI says, they went to 10mm after the last time the 9mm was a disaster and they were forced to develop a new round called the 40SW that their female officers still couldn't handle and retreated by to the 9mm. They went to 9mm for a compromise, not because it was the better round. The 45acp is a very effective round even in a FMJ and bullet tech has also increased for the 45 as well. The 45ACP isnt as powerful as it is shown in Bruce Willis movie the "Last man standing but it certainly has more energy in my eyes.
    You realize how dumb you sound right? You claim to want to use the most effective rounds possible which is why you are carrying .45 yet you choose M193 which has loads of evidence being an inconsistent performer. Seems to me you are either terminal ballistics illiterate or just trying to troll people who use 9mm. So which is it? Are you just an uninformed user or just one of those "durr hurr 9mm weak, .45 strong" morons?
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 11-22-21 at 21:38.

Feedback Score
    Depends on what situation you are in. But I would probably always choose the rifle over the handgun, no matter what handgun caliber. If the particular situation is possible to have the rifle with me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post
    In A-Stan I saw a dude run about 50 meters after taking multiple hits from Green Tip.
    I know there are lots of reports of M855 penciling right thru people, but it frags all over the place in gel test shots. Of course humans are not made of ballistic gelatin.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast