Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: M193 vs 9mm JHP cost vs effectiveness, other factors...

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,748
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you need a gun to defend yourself odds are you'll be in public armed with a handgun only.

    I reccomend the 9mm JHP's.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    52
    Feedback Score
    0
    Even at home you're more likely to defend yourself with a pistol. You probably won't get a lot of notice to prepare.

    My handgun is close at hand. At night it's on the nightstand, or somewhere else accessible, if I'm not carrying it on my person. By contrast the AR is in a closet.

    Odds are even if I'd rather have the AR, I'm going to be defending myself with the pistol, because it's going to be what I was able to get my hands on in the little time I had to do that

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    suburbs of Philly Pa
    Posts
    6,109
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin248 View Post
    Even at home you're more likely to defend yourself with a pistol. You probably won't get a lot of notice to prepare.

    My handgun is close at hand. At night it's on the nightstand, or somewhere else accessible, if I'm not carrying it on my person. By contrast the AR is in a closet.

    Odds are even if I'd rather have the AR, I'm going to be defending myself with the pistol, because it's going to be what I was able to get my hands on in the little time I had to do that
    But the AR can be next to the nightstand just as easily as the handgun can be in the safe. Things are going to be wherever you put them. I put my AR by the nightstand.



    Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 09-02-21 at 23:18.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    55
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you're a believer in playing the percentages, then stock up on 9mm.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    348
    Feedback Score
    0
    Such an odd ball question. Stock up on anything you can get. A handgun is a means to get you to your rifle if possible.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    10,872
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    If you need a gun to defend yourself odds are you'll be in public armed with a handgun only.
    Not unless you hang out with turds. The amount of legit people which I have seen victims of armed robbery pales in comparison to the amount of turds who are getting jacked. If you choose to hang out in alleys in the seedy part of town, sure. If you are a real person shopping and going back and forth about your business, odds are incredibly low.

    However, when you look at burglaries in which the dwelling may or may not be occupied... the odds are much much higher. Turds know that other turds don't own nice things (except dope and weed), so they go "uptown" to jack from the rich folk. Its a crap shoot when it will happen as some burglars only hit in the daytime work hours, while others want to slip in under the cover of night betting on stealth. I can't give you an honest answer on which is more likely to be armed.

    I'm basing my comments on being a long time cop in an active poop hole of a city, and going to hundreds and hundreds (if not more) of these calls.

    There is no excuse for not having several mags (or more) of decent hollow point loaded up at all times. On that same note, there is no excuse for not having multiple mags of some type of ammo loaded for your AR as well. M193 is a lot better than any pistol round is going to be, but using a decent soft point is a solid option to expand and spend its terminal energy into the "bad man" also, and I would rather go that way if those were my two cheap choices.
    Stick


    Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

    I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...


    Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    570
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Since I originally posted this I have managed to acquire 500rds of 9mm Federal HST 124gr JHP and also 1,000 rounds of M193 put aside and dedicated to the emergency reserves.

    Thanks for all the insight guys.

    TED

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    889
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Not unless you hang out with turds. The amount of legit people which I have seen victims of armed robbery pales in comparison to the amount of turds who are getting jacked. If you choose to hang out in alleys in the seedy part of town, sure. If you are a real person shopping and going back and forth about your business, odds are incredibly low.

    However, when you look at burglaries in which the dwelling may or may not be occupied... the odds are much much higher. Turds know that other turds don't own nice things (except dope and weed), so they go "uptown" to jack from the rich folk. Its a crap shoot when it will happen as some burglars only hit in the daytime work hours, while others want to slip in under the cover of night betting on stealth. I can't give you an honest answer on which is more likely to be armed.

    I'm basing my comments on being a long time cop in an active poop hole of a city, and going to hundreds and hundreds (if not more) of these calls.

    There is no excuse for not having several mags (or more) of decent hollow point loaded up at all times. On that same note, there is no excuse for not having multiple mags of some type of ammo loaded for your AR as well. M193 is a lot better than any pistol round is going to be, but using a decent soft point is a solid option to expand and spend its terminal energy into the "bad man" also, and I would rather go that way if those were my two cheap choices.

    This is very interesting that you say this, and please don't think I am doubting your experience. What part of the country are you in?

    I have a close friend who was a beat cop in a large city in Tennessee for the majority of his career, then recently retired as a Detective. I think he was 30+ years in, but I don't know for sure.

    His take was always the opposite - that unless you're running a drug house or doing something seedy at home the odds of a home invasion are infinitely smaller than the odds of being messed with randomly out and about where you'd need your CCW. Like you, he based this on the many, many incidents he has worked over his career.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    CONUS
    Posts
    5,485
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    This is very interesting that you say this, and please don't think I am doubting your experience. What part of the country are you in?

    I have a close friend who was a beat cop in a large city in Tennessee for the majority of his career, then recently retired as a Detective. I think he was 30+ years in, but I don't know for sure.

    His take was always the opposite - that unless you're running a drug house or doing something seedy at home the odds of a home invasion are infinitely smaller than the odds of being messed with randomly out and about where you'd need your CCW. Like you, he based this on the many, many incidents he has worked over his career.
    In my experience many burglaries and home invasions occur after you have a contractor inside your home replacing drywall, painting, etc. The contractor may chat with someone in a tavern and tell them you have valuables in your home, then the tavern dweller commits the home invasion.
    Train 2 Win

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    235
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    M193 vs 9mm JHP cost vs effectiveness, other factors...

    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    Since I originally posted this I have managed to acquire 500rds of 9mm Federal HST 124gr JHP and also 1,000 rounds of M193 put aside and dedicated to the emergency reserves.

    Thanks for all the insight guys.

    TED
    Nice. Save those for a shtf situation.
    And whenever you can (depending on price) look for another 500 rounds of 9mm ball and a couple of thousand rounds of 5.56/223 for practice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •