Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Tubbs flatwire vs stock A5 spring?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Iraqgunz liked a 6920 with a Sprinco Green and A5-4.

I have no doubt that it would function, cleaned, lubed, firm support, good ammo, but over the long run you’ll see problems. It’s honestly not as reliable as just leaving it alone.
    I find that hard to believe. Do you have a link?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    I find that hard to believe. Do you have a link?
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...tor-A5-Testing

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks. Interesting.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    JP does not specify and (reputable) sellers are all over the map in their descriptions. Some say this, some say that, and others do not specify material at all. (Brownells, Midway, Primary Arms, etc.)
    I found an old post on the JP springs. WS6 found them to corrode very quickly in his dishwasher test.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I have continued my corrosion testing to include JP's tuned and polished spring. However, it failed (all 3 that I ordered...) before they got to my house...

I am disappointed in the JP "polished and tuned" springs I ordered. I am a corrosion-phobe, and test things beyond realism when it comes to that aspect of performance. Why? It's humid where I live. I've had firearms damaged by rust before even in less humid areas. The 3 springs I ordered arrived pre-corroded in their wrappers. Now, it wasn't BAD, but you have to understand how springs work. The surface of a spring is VERY important to the properties of it. Moreso than the core or intermediate material, regarding its "ability to spring". What's more, half of the description of these things is "polished". They aren't too "polishy and slick" when they are rusted on the surface. Rust by nature tends to be a bit rough. So what did I do? I popped one of the corroded springs into my dish-washer. Why? It simulates what I might take the rifle through regarding humidity and rain at an all-day training course, or hunting. The wash cycle is not even close to done yet, and the spring is looking...rough. As in, like a Cheeto, after about 15 minutes. Might be good in a competition gun, but for a duty rifle that may ride in a hot, humid police vehicle, or be taken out on a call in the rain, or trained with, or hunted with...I'd make a difference choice. It not only failed my rather "tough" testing, it arrived rusted in what appeared to be an almost air-tight package.

Rust can clearly be seen evidenced both on the blue paper inside the wrapper, and to the right of the rust spots on the wrapper, seen on the surface of the spring.

I have not contacted JP, because this is not a customer service or product failure issue, it is a design concept flaw of using un-coated music-wire in the wrong environmental application. While one can argue "your gun won't go in the dish-washer!", I can argue "A polished spring should not arrive corroded, and the fact that it did indicates that the process will likely continue at any out-door match, if it can take hold in a warehouse within the safety of its factory packaging."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Yep. Rifle springs that came with the A5 kits direct from VLTOR.
    BufordTJustice reported that the Vltor springs are indeed weaker than a Colt spring.

Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    The colt spring has more pre load than the supplied Vltor spring. If running weak ammo is important, user the Vltor spring or a Wolff reduced power rifle spring. I use the Wolff RP to great effect.

The Brownells CS rifle spring is slightly weaker than the Vltor as well. The colt is nearly as stiff as the Springco green.
    I own all of these springs.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    BufordTJustice reported that the Vltor springs are indeed weaker than a Colt spring.
    I forgot I did that. Lol.

True and correct. I still use the copper colored Vltor rifle springs in my wife's AR. A little easier for her to run the charging handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Do you currently use the Tubb AR10 spring in your A5 systems?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910