Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tubbs flatwire vs stock A5 spring?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlew View Post
    As far as I’ve seen, if you want an extra-power stainless rifle spring, Tubb is your only option. If you find something else, I’d love to know.
    What about the springs intended for .308 platforms? I asked about these recently. Though I have yet to get a reply I believe they are stronger than AR-15 rifle springs.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    double

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Does no one make a stainless equivalent to the Springco Green? Maybe I've just been lucky in always being able to grab a Green spring and go. My environment hasn't caused me any issues, but it might be different if I were around saltwater.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Are these departmental or gov weapons, or just ones? I'm at a loss as to why someone would break up parts for a fully functional weapon system, but I've seen departments do some dumb things before.

You are stating a few things that aren't making sense to me. First, you say the upper are perfect, I can understand this comment based on previous use. However, you are also stating the lowers have no issues.

1. How did you come to the determination of there being no issues with the lower? Especially when most armorers are going to say that is the first area they would be looking for regarding troubles.

2. Who did the assembly of the lower receivers?

3. Who did the inspection of the lower receivers, and what was their level or training (or experience if untrained)?

4. How tight is the mag catch?

5. When you pull all the springs out and lay them side by side, and then put them next to a (preferably new) rifle spring, how different are they?

6. What buffer are you using? (if you listed it I missed it, sorry)

7. What happens when a standard OEM lower receiver is used?

8. How often does the issue replicate?

All personal owned guns, they get shot quite a bit, loaned out to people for training classes (I own a range), and helicopter hog hunts. The Colt lowers were sold off when the prices and demand for LE and the restricted marked lowers were bringing a premium as these things are not collectibles by any means.

All lowers were assembled with SOLGW LPKs by myself along with a friend who has attended several armorers courses, SOLGW included, he has inspected everything a couple of times since I’ve put these things back into use and noticed the malfunctions.

There have been only a few malfunctions, some that can be remedied by just a nudge of the forward assist, but this is an issue that has never occurred until now.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    So this morning I swapped a carbine extension, spring, and H buffer onto the lower that showed the most trouble.

I loaded up 5 Pmags to 30 rounds and manually charged all of them several times and dropped the bolt on them several times and it fully chambered every time.

Out of curiosity I pulled out a box of tan follower GI mags that I thought were bad because they had a few 1st round ftfeeds.

Worked perfect every time.

I and a coworker fired several Pmags and GI mags without a hitch.

Either VLTOR has a bad batch of springs or the A5 is just not quite as robust of function as the carbine setup.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm guessing Vltor's springs.

I've built four different AR-10s using the A5 tube, Tubb springs, and A5 XH heavy buffers. They all work like a charm. A Strike Industries flat-wire won't completely install into an A5, getting stuck around two coils out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    So this morning I swapped a carbine extension, spring, and H buffer onto the lower that showed the most trouble.

I loaded up 5 Pmags to 30 rounds and manually charged all of them several times and dropped the bolt on them several times and it fully chambered every time.

Out of curiosity I pulled out a box of tan follower GI mags that I thought were bad because they had a few 1st round ftfeeds.

Worked perfect every time.

I and a coworker fired several Pmags and GI mags without a hitch.

Either VLTOR has a bad batch of springs or the A5 is just not quite as robust of function as the carbine setup.
    I bet it's the spring at this point. Have you ordered a different rifle spring for the A5 extension?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    How many rounds on the VLTOR springs and what length do they measure?

Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I ordered a Tubb flatwire to try.

I didn’t measure the rifle spring, but it has 7-800 rounds on it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Tubbs flatwire vs stock A5 spring?

Springco green is the one to have. You could also try super 42. If you can’t, I’d stick to carbine. A5’s would move easily on EE.
    No experience with tubbs though.
    Last edited by dan1612; 08-23-21 at 17:07.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast