Feedback Score
    Good!
    "Pacifism is a privilege of the protected.'
    "In war, truth is the first casualty". -Aeschylus
    "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy."
    كافر

Aim small, miss small

Feedback Score
    Surprisingly good news. The whole issue of executive orders still looms though. Hopefully he'll be too busy trying to "rebuild America's image amongst the Muslim community" (LOL) to worry about gun-grabbing.

"Heavy is good, heavy is reliable"

Feedback Score

Thats better

For the first time in weeks I'll sleep a little better. Just a little.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Exclamation

did anyone else have trouble sleeping immediately prior to the election?

i'l be honest with you, i was at times sick to my stomach with worrry about 2A rights. i'm a single issue voter and this is my single issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Scholl @ gunsnet.net

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=349357

GUN CONTROL POLITICS AND THE 2008 FEDERAL ELECTIONS

Of the 23 candidates for the U.S. Senate endorsed by the National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund, the NRA-endorsed candidate won in at least 14 of these races, with the outcome still uncertain in Alaska, Georgia, Minnesota and Oregon

Potential net loss of at least three Senate seats - Colorado, New Hampshire, New Mexico and North Carolina

After the 2006 elections, NRA ratings in the Senate comprised 47 A-rated, four B-rated, six C-rated, twelve D-rated and 32 F-rated

In the 111th Congress, NRA ratings in the Senate comprise 41 A-rated, two B-rated, nine C-rated, twelve D-rated and 32 F-rated (with four seats still uncertain)

Three pro-gun Senate freshmen include: Jim Risch (ID), Mike Johanns (NE) and Mark Warner (VA)

Of the 248 candidates for the U.S. House of Representatives endorsed by the National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund, the NRA-endorsed candidate won in at least 216 of these races, with the outcome still uncertain in six races, including CA-4, LA-4, MD-1, OH-15, VA-5 and WA-8

After the 2006 elections, NRA ratings in the House comprised 226 A-rated, 28 B-rated, twelve C-rated, thirteen D-rated, 149 F-rated and seven ?-rated

In the 111th Congress, NRA rating in the House comprise 222 A-rated, seventeen B-rated, fourteen C-rated, 22 D-rated, 150 F-rated and three ?-rated

There were election upgrades in four House seats, including MD-1, MN-3, NJ-7 and OR-5 but setbacks in thirteen House districts including AZ-1, CO-4, FL-8, FL-24, ID-1, MI-7, MI-9, NJ-3, NY-13, NY-25, NY-29, OH-1 and PA-3

There were no gun vote changes - for better or worse - in the following 23 Houses districts despite changes in the congressmen (and their party in some cases) representing these districts: AL-2, AL-5, CA-52, CO-2, CO-6, CT-4, FL-15, FL-16, IL-11, IL-18, KS-2, KY-2, LA-6, ME-1, MO-9, NY-21, NY-26, OH-7, OH-16, PA-5, TN-1, TX-22 and VA-2

The 26 pro-gun House freshmen (9 Democrats and 17 Republicans) include: Bobby Bright (AL-2), Parker Griffith (AL-5), Duncan Hunter (CA-52), Mike Coffman (CO-6), Bill Posey (FL-15), Tom Rooney (FL-16), Debbie Halvorson (IL-11), Aaron Schock (IL-18), Brett Guthrie (KY-2), Bill Cassidy (LA-6), Erik Paulsen (MN-3), Gregg Harper (MS-3), Blaine Luetkemeyer (MO-9), Martin Heinrich (NM-1), Harry Teague (NM-2), Chris Lee (NY-26), Larry Kissell (NC-8), Steve Austria (OH-7), John Boccieri (OH-16), Kurt Schrader (OR-5), Glenn Thompson (PA-5), Phil Roe (TN-1), Pete Olson (TX-22), Jason Chaffetz (UT-3), Glenn Nye (VA-2) and Cynthia Lummis (WY-AL)
    ------------------------------

My analysis: Any major gun control legislation is highly unlikely. We're safe, for now. But we should always keep our guard up.
    Last edited by 30 cal slut; 12-11-08 at 07:23.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lightbulb

interesting.

http://fingolfen.blogspot.com/2008/1...uch-worse.html

Wednesday, December 10, 2008
    2008 Congress – It Could Be Much Worse!

One of the members of the gunsnet community posted an analysis of the 2006 and 2008 Congressional elections this morning. All other things being equal, it paints a bit rosier picture of the incoming Congress than the initial returns would have you believe. The table below summarizes the NRA rating of all of the members of both the 2006 and 2008 House and Senate.

As you can see, the pro-Second Amendment cause has lost a little ground from 2006 to 2008, but the numbers are not totally disastrous. I’ve taken the data above and graphed it into pie charts so the balance of power is clearly visual.

In 2006, “A” rated representatives held a clear majority in the House, and if you throw in the “B” rated members, that majority only grows.

In 2008, amazingly “A” rated representatives STILL hold a clear majority of the votes in the House. That majority is thinner than it was in 2006, and the number of “B” rated representatives is smaller but still provides some cushion. The number of “F” rated representatives is roughly unchanged, but there has been significant growth in the number of “D” rated representatives. Hopefully this trend will not continue, but the good news is that strong anti-Second Amendment legislation is going to run into a serious roadblock in the House of Representatives.

The picture in the Senate is, however, not quite as favorable.

In 2006, “A” rated senators made up the largest voting bloc at 47, and if you add in the 4 “B” rated senators, then solidly pro-gun individuals made up a majority in the Senate.

In 2008 the picture has changed somewhat for the worse. These numbers were tabulated before the four initially undecided races were finalized, so there will undoubtedly be impact from those races. In 2008 there are only 41 “A” rated senators at this point – a steep drop from 2006, but they prevent any anti-Second “supermajority” in the Senate, so the filibuster is still in play. The only good news is at this point there is no net growth in “D” rated or “F” rated senators either. That may change going forward.

Going forward, it appears that a pro-Second majority is in the bag in the House of Representatives; however we can’t take that for granted. Remember when firearm related bills are proposed to write your representatives. In the Senate one suggested tactic is to focus on the bloc of “C” rated senators. This probably isn’t a bad tactic as they could go either way on any particular piece of legislation. However if we value our liberties, we need to write our representatives regardless of where they fall on the curve, from the staunchest “A” rated supporter of our right to keep and bear arms all the way through the worst “F” rated gun grabber. Even if we have no hope of lobbying our representative, we can’t afford to remain silent as the stakes are simply too high.

Until next time!!!
    Posted by Fingolfen at 3:12 PM

Last edited by 30 cal slut; 12-11-08 at 07:21.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about EOs.

If Obama issued an EO reinstating the AWB, not only would it be unconstitutional (executive cannot make laws), but it would result in a shitstorm of such epic proportions that it would dwarf any prior scandal in recent history and the quickest way to ensure a 1 term presidency.

Feedback Score
    We've gone over EOs here before. It's been gone over in a lot of places before, come to think of it.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    We've gone over EOs here before. It's been gone over in a lot of places before, come to think of it.

-B
    Your point being?

"Heavy is good, heavy is reliable"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    You mean all guns won't be automatically banned on January 21st?

In all seriousness I wrote Mark Warner and expressed my concerns about Obama and a Democrat controlled Congress. His reply was basically that there were way too many other issues on the agenda to deal with gun legislation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast