Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you travel to classes, please help

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayd8 View Post
    I like the videos he puts out. I might’ve missed it, but I think you missed the one where he goes over his Pelican 1615 which carries most of his gear for air travel:

https://youtu.be/Pn94EKoAuUo
    Sure enough. I’m just kind of tired of his box of gear vids. But that’s just me.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Check the guns and ship most/all of what would be your checked luggage. Carry on the essentials. Order up stuff on Amazon or wherever and just have it sent to friend's house local, sunscreen etc whatever. PIck it up there if going there or have it throw it in his car if he's picking you up on the way.

I also started using Tile (or whatever brand you want) bluetooth trackers. They are limited in range for the normal ones, but good enough that if you and your case are both in the baggage claim area, it should show up...and Tile uses other people's apps to find lost things, airports tend to be busy, it's a nice peace of mind being able to, at least to some extent, track the case yourself.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post

I also started using Tile (or whatever brand you want) bluetooth trackers. They are limited in range for the normal ones, but good enough that if you and your case are both in the baggage claim area, it should show up...and Tile uses other people's apps to find lost things, airports tend to be busy, it's a nice peace of mind being able to, at least to some extent, track the case yourself.
    That’s a good idea. How is the range inside of a hard case like a pelican?

I’ve looked at the apple trackers which I believe work similarly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayd8 View Post
    That’s a good idea. How is the range inside of a hard case like a pelican?

I’ve looked at the apple trackers which I believe work similarly.
    I got enough to know if I was within, like, 1 conveyor belt either direction. It wasn't a lot, definitely use the "pro" or whatever it is

Most of the time, phone had no idea where it was.

I have not yet had reason to try the lost feature which is supposed to anonymously show you the location of the tile if it's within range of other people's tile apps...that seems pretty usable at an airport in theory
    Last edited by Warp; 08-26-21 at 21:18.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Guns in a Pelican.
    Drop ship ammo.
    High value items like NVG/thermals in your carryon if applicable.
    Consider what you actually need for the class vs what you want or might normally use, consider refining.
    Test pack what you want to fly with. Ship excess or bulky items ahead of you if you need them.
    Ensure you leave enough time for typical shipping, and then some.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Not being a LEO/MIL I try to keep as discrete as possible. I use a soft sided rolling golf bag to travel. I’ve only flown that way once, but travelled by car a lot that way and it helps with the odd stares at hotels that other obvious shapes might bring.

There is a weight limit on ammo by air, depending on airline(IIRC), and it is best if in factory packaging.

I like the Tile/Apple-thingy idea. Hell, walk up and down the airplane aisle and you’ll probably get a ping to know it made it that far…
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Guns in a Pelican.
    Drop ship ammo.
    High value items like NVG/thermals in your carryon if applicable.
    Consider what you actually need for the class vs what you want or might normally use, consider refining.
    Test pack what you want to fly with. Ship excess or bulky items ahead of you if you need them.
    Ensure you leave enough time for typical shipping, and then some.
    This was going to be my advice. Dumb question, what if any effect will the airport XRay machine have on NV tubes?
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    This was going to be my advice. Dumb question, what if any effect will the airport XRay machine have on NV tubes?
    NVGs are good to go through an x-ray machine.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    Thanks for the advice everyone, travel went smoothly. I shipped the ammo. Guns, mags, and pocket knife in a Pelican 1720, which I checked for $30. Battle belt, safariland, and helmet in carry-on. (I used borrowed NODs for this class, otherwise would have been in carry-on, also.).

The only issue was that according to Alaska Airlines, you can't have ammo in the same case as the guns. In the past when I flew with a pistol, I always had a box of defensive ammo in the pistol case, and that was fine. Last trip like that was 6 years ago. I watched two TSA videos on YouTube before this trip which provided conflicting info on this, so I called Alaska and they said ammo must be in a separate case. I did not want to check a separate bag, so decided not to mess with transporting ammo.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    NVGs are good to go through an x-ray machine.
    Thank you sir!
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12