Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VORTEX: Razor HD Gen II-E 1-6 v. Razor HD Gen III 1-10

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Tube diameter has virtually nothing to due with light transmission.

https://www.bushnell.com/through-the...in-optics.html

I'm anxiously awaiting my own Gen III Razor to go atop a Colt 901 for many of the points you listed above. Namely, the usability at 1x and the reticle subtensions remaining consistent across the higher magnification range.
    Tube diameter would directly correspond to lens size wouldn’t it? Lens size is the first consideration on that list…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not for the objective lens. Is the size of intermediate lenses as important?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Tube diameter would directly correspond to lens size wouldn’t it? Lens size is the first consideration on that list…

Not necessarily, no. At any rate, both the Gen 2 and 3 have the same size objective.

There's an excellent YouTube video by Ilya Koshkin (The Dark Lord of Optics from snipershide) detailing why LPVO's are made the way they are (specs like length, objective size, mag ratio, etc).

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Not necessarily, no. At any rate, both the Gen 2 and 3 have the same size objective.

There's an excellent YouTube video by Ilya Koshkin (The Dark Lord of Optics from snipershide) detailing why LPVO's are made the way they are (specs like length, objective size, mag ratio, etc).
    Huh, you’re right. I really thought the lens was larger on the 1-10.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Would you link it, please?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Would you link it, please?
    Pretty sure this is it, the first video where he's talking about scopes in general.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...10x24.7027593/
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 08-28-21 at 16:47.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Neither of them is a bad choice.

What are your needs for magnification at what distance?

How much is $1k worth to you?

If it's worth very little, get the 1-10x.

If it's a significant amount of $$, then get the 1-6x and shoot $1k worth of ammo training, practicing, working with the 1-6x.

More practice with great equipment > less practice with top of the line equipment.

Your skills and practice will transfer over to any scope you use.

1-6x is already in the buy once/cry once category in terms of quality. Darn proven optic.

I've owned the older heavier 1-6x and the PST gen2. I haven't even held the 1-10x.

For my $, I'd find a good deal on the PST gen 2 at 1/2 the price and call it a day until you're using it for duty purposes overseas.

$1500 worth of ammo practicing with the PST gen 2 makes for a good chunk of progress in ability.

$500+tax...

https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Vip...-PST-1607.aspx
    Last edited by voiceofreason; 08-29-21 at 15:58.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    If all you do is gaming, sure, you can game the game and know what you’re going to shoot. I live in an area that has several miles of visibility on a normal day though and just completed a couple weeks of special reconnaissance training with many more miles of training area. 4x optics were terribly inadequate in PID and while unlikely for a civilian in CONUS, if you do have the financial ability, seems prudent to prepare for the unexpected.

Exactly, I dont care what silky shirt shooters do. What I do know is that the Gen 3 is far better for glassing the landscape. More magnification allows you see better, not shoot better. I dont care if you can make hits with a 4x as well as a 6x but there is enough difference at max magnification between a 6x and a 10x to know if thats a cellphone or a pistol at that dudes side at 200m.

Feedback Score
    Tube diameter has virtually nothing to due with light transmission.

https://www.bushnell.com/through-the...in-optics.html

I'm anxiously awaiting my own Gen III Razor to go atop a Colt 901 for many of the points you listed above. Namely, the usability at 1x and the reticle subtensions remaining consistent across the higher magnification range.
    I thought briefly about replacing my 1-8 accupower for the 1-10 razor on my 901. The 1-10 I think is like 2oz lighter and having a grid would let me dot more precise work at distance but then I remembered I rarely shoot it past 3-400 and I really don’t need to spend the money on the 1-10.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    It'll definitely be an experiment. I grew weary of reading reviews and comparing paper specs as to whether these optics perform better than a traditional scope (in my case a NXS 2.5-10x32) with piggyback red dot that I finally just spent the money to find out for myself

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123