Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old Jarhead - FNG with a question about slings

Feedback Score
    Well I used to shoot primarily with an M14 clone and a web sling, and while I'm not all that good a shot, at least I understand the mechanics of wrapping that one around my arm and what I'm supposed to do with it.

I've built a few AR's now I'm trying to apply what I know to them. This is because I grew up shooting in Canada where AR's are restricted to being range queens whereas the M14 for whatever reason I could legally take camping and shoot in the woods with my friends.

Anyway, built some AR's and bought the fancy Vickers sling and while it works well for carrying I can't get a satisfying setup that makes it a good shooting aid. Maybe I don't understand how to use is, but no matter how I fiddle around with it it never seems quite right.

So like old jarhead, who is certainly going to be a better shot than me, thinking about putting that old websling on and giving up on the modern ones.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin248 View Post
    Well I used to shoot primarily with an M14 clone and a web sling, and while I'm not all that good a shot, at least I understand the mechanics of wrapping that one around my arm and what I'm supposed to do with it.

I've built a few AR's now I'm trying to apply what I know to them. This is because I grew up shooting in Canada where AR's are restricted to being range queens whereas the M14 for whatever reason I could legally take camping and shoot in the woods with my friends.

Anyway, built some AR's and bought the fancy Vickers sling and while it works well for carrying I can't get a satisfying setup that makes it a good shooting aid. Maybe I don't understand how to use is, but no matter how I fiddle around with it it never seems quite right.

So like old jarhead, who is certainly going to be a better shot than me, thinking about putting that old websling on and giving up on the modern ones.

Is the Vickers sling coming loose on you, or is it more a matter of not being able to adjust it to your liking?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Seems like I can't get it small enough for quick use (not unhooking the butt) and that all the sliders and pullers and such end up interfering with using it even unhooked. I can do it, but it's not easily repeatable.

Maybe I need to keep working on it.
    Last edited by Martin248; 09-01-21 at 19:19.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A GI cotton web sling will get the job done. If you need an extra long 2 point sling, you take 2 GI slings, put the metal hooks on the rifle sling swivels, then use one pressure clasp to join the 2 slings.

If that set up won't work, you need to make friends with the guys in the canvas shop.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Old jarhead (1978-84) here too. For the DD M4A1, here is my recommendation.

Vickers Blue Force 2-pt. sling
    https://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-sling

DANIEL DEFENSE RAIL MOUNT QD SWIVEL ATTACHMENT POINT W/SWIVEL
    https://danieldefense.com/rail-mount...-w-swivel.html

Since it appears that the DD stock has a QD sling swivel socket, you would also want this.

DANIEL DEFENSE HEAVY DUTY PUSH BUTTON QUICK DETACH (QD) SLING SWIVEL
    https://danieldefense.com/heavy-duty...ng-swivel.html

I have a very similar setup on my M4A1 SOPMOD Block II clone except I use snap hooks instead of QD swivels.

I have a M4A1 setup exactly as described with those specific items. It works well for carrying, obviously, but can be used as a shooting aid too.

@OP:
    I also learned the same M1 web sling techniques in Uncle Sams Miscreant Club, and have a 20" and M1A setup with them.

The Vickers or MS4 or similar sling around the back can be set rather short for your LoP and size, so at its tightest adjustment via the strap, it will provide off-hand stability. It's a similar concept to the "hasty" or "loop" sling, though no support arm looping or sling unhooking shenanigans are required. Just shorten the sling to full tight and bring it up to your shoulder.

Feedback Score
    Okay, lots of eye candy here to look at, thanks gents

In the mean time...we interrupt my life for football season...i coach little kid football, which chews up a lot of my time...but...I have purchased 2 Magpul Rifle Man Slings...one for my Ruger PC Carbine and one for the DD. I got some Uncle Mike's Sling swivel doodads and installed the sling (man they make those things realllllly loooong)..got it fitted up and snipped the 48 foot of excess material...burned the end to seal it...easy enough to detach the back of the sling and slip it over my arm, and it keeps things nice and tight...

I also ordered, but have not installed a DD rail qd swivel doodad and a magpul qd swing swivel for the back...figure when I get a chance to breath again, I will get that one all rigged up and see how it works on that...if I hate the rig when it is done, i will come back here and take a peek at some of these idears...again, thank you!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For an AR, you can't beat the standard Vickers sling.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123