Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LCP Max with Hydra Shok Deep......thoughts?

Feedback Score

LCP Max with Hydra Shok Deep......thoughts?

Got one, ordered a 12rd mag for it also. Found that the Hydra Shok Deep (99gr) consistently penetrates beyond the FBI minimum 12". Like 13-14" with consistent (albeit limited) expansion. Now is it the ideal round for a 500lb Sumo wrestler? Probably not, but the weapon size, capacity, and bullet performance seems like the most acceptable----or least unacceptable----choice for .380 at this time.

Opinions from the peanut gallery?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No opinion on ammo but if it works consistently then why not.

I am curious what you think of it after some use. I was looking at getting one but in seemed really flimsy. My LCP I custom (that's what Ruger calls it) feels like a HK PSP compared to the Max

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Up to you, man.

.380 seems to have a rep of penetrating enough and not being very deadly if it perforates a torso with FMJ.

I wouldn't choose a JHP and reduce penetration should it open up.

I also wouldn't want to lose one tiny bit of reliability from a small pistol in exchange for a JHP or flat nose.

My opinion is use FMJ and practice often.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    May I ask why the LCP Max over, say, something in 9mm like the p365?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    May I ask why the LCP Max over, say, something in 9mm like the p365?
    Have that too as well as a G43X. Mainly because the LCP Max will still actually fit in my shorts pocket for a quick run to the Quickie Mart. So I wouldn't say "instead of" but more like "in lieu of for certain situations". I guess the word convenience comes to mind. Something about "The gun on your person is better than the one at home or in your car".

I could certainly never sanely suggest LCP > P365/43X.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Have that too as well as a G43X. Mainly because the LCP Max will still actually fit in my shorts pocket for a quick run to the Quickie Mart. So I wouldn't say "instead of" but more like "in lieu of for certain situations". I guess the word convenience comes to mind. Something about "The gun on your person is better than the one at home or in your car".

I could certainly never sanely suggest LCP > P365/43X.
    Gotcha. It definitely has its place in those situations.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    It's possible that you got the worst of all worlds.

The hollow point costs more than FMJ.

The hollow point is likely less reliable in feeding than an FMJ.

Hydra Shok is super old tech that didn't do that well even back in the day. (Unless you follow Sanow/Marshall)

Best case scenario you get some expansion, but for the most part it penetrates like an FMJ.

The gel/DocGKR crowd would recommend you carry a quality FMJ round that is reliable and run 200+ rd through your gun. Use that same round as defensive and practice round.

Only reason they would suggest FMJ is that .380 often doesn't have the oomph to get deep enough if the hollow point expands. In real life, the penetration of a bullet is determined by what it hits in the human body. Gelatin is uniform. The body is not. The 12-18" is a reference point for performance, not gospel.

A deep penetrating bullet like a copper round that is designed to penetrate deep or XTP might work... but the higher likelihood of penetration and more reliable feeding from a round ogive may be worth more to some than some expansion at the risk of insufficient penetration.

General consensus is hollowpoints for 9mm and up due to having sufficient energy to reach vital organs.

Take the following links with a grain of salt. Still better than nothing.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...-tests/#380ACP

https://www.luckygunner.com/hornady-...ady-25#geltest

Feedback Score
    For fu*ks sake, friends don't let friends carry mouse guns. There are too many micro compact full power 9mms out there now. Carry a real gun.

[/rant]
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    For fu*ks sake, friends don't let friends carry mouse guns. There are too many micro compact full power 9mms out there now. Carry a real gun.

[/rant]
    I tend to agree. But as a backup to a backup, or even in a non-permissive environment? Heck, even a 25 ACP is better than harsh words.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post

[/rant]
    Well, I did ask for opinions, soooo......thanks.

Yeah, I get what you're saying and have the "micro-9" base covered, a couple times over as a matter of fact. Just spit-balling a bit here.

To be fair, only the Rohrbaugh 9mm was what I would consider a true 9mm "pocket pistol". In that caliber I prefer my P365 or 43X > Rohrbaugh though. [A number of years ago I used to have a Rohrbaugh 9mm and could kick myself for ever getting rid of it]
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast