Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LCP Max with Hydra Shok Deep......thoughts?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Well, I did ask for opinions, soooo......thanks.

Yeah, I get what you're saying and have the "micro-9" base covered, a couple times over as a matter of fact. Just spit-balling a bit here.

To be fair, only the Rohrbaugh 9mm was what I would consider a true 9mm "pocket pistol". In that caliber I prefer my P365 or 43X > Rohrbaugh though. [A number of years ago I used to have a Rohrbaugh 9mm and could kick myself for ever getting rid of it]
    I haven't had any personal experience with the Rohrbaugh, but from what I've read, it isn't a pleasant experience to shoot. Again, better than a 380 from an efficacy standpoint, but likely not a weapon one would practice much with, or at all. What was your assessment having owned it? Accuracy, reliability, etc?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    For fu*ks sake, friends don't let friends carry mouse guns. There are too many micro compact full power 9mms out there now. Carry a real gun.

[/rant]
    To be fair sometimes there's a need for a mouse gun. I carry my LCP when I can't carry anything else, which is very rare. It's almost always during formal occasion with lots of contact. Wedding, funeral, anniversary... Basically any time a suit and tie come out it's easy to toss the LCP in the pocket. For it's size and shape it fits suit pants without too much printing. I tried G43 and Sig 365. Too big

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 08-29-21 at 18:03.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I haven't had any personal experience with the Rohrbaugh, but from what I've read, it isn't a pleasant experience to shoot. Again, better than a 380 from an efficacy standpoint, but likely not a weapon one would practice much with, or at all. What was your assessment having owned it? Accuracy, reliability, etc?
    I didn't shoot it much, but as you said it was not comfortable to plink with. It was also only rated for standard pressure ammunition, so no +P. Think of the "grip" you get with some micro-compacts (i.e. the pinky left dangling) and putting 9mm through it instead of .380 will give you an idea. Accuracy was okay, but you have to keep in mind it was ME shooting it, not Rob Leatham! My biggest gripe was the difficulty of field stripping it for cleaning and maintenance, not to mention that the recoil spring was supposed to be replaced at an interval far below what normal handguns need. I ultimately ended up seeing it as too "niche" for my liking.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I didn't shoot it much, but as you said it was not comfortable to plink with. It was also only rated for standard pressure ammunition, so no +P. Think of the "grip" you get with some micro-compacts (i.e. the pinky left dangling) and putting 9mm through it instead of .380 will give you an idea. Accuracy was okay, but you have to keep in mind it was ME shooting it, not Rob Leatham! My biggest gripe was the difficulty of field stripping it for cleaning and maintenance, not to mention that the recoil spring was supposed to be replaced at an interval far below what normal handguns need. I ultimately ended up seeing it as too "niche" for my liking.
    Interesting. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    To be fair sometimes there's a need for a mouse gun. I carry my LCP when I can't carry anything else, which is very rare. It's almost always during formal occasion with lots of contact. Wedding, funeral, anniversary... Basically any time a suit and tie come out it's easy to toss the LCP in the pocket. For it's size and shape it fits suit pants without too much printing. I tried G43 and Sig 365. Too big
    I put a set of CT 405 flat grips on a S&W PD340. Not my image, but with flat grips this prints no more than an LCP in a pocket holster. It's the SAME WEIGHT as an LCP but has five shots of .357 Mag or .38 +P. Yes, it costs more but my life is worth more. This little sucker has been in the swim trunks. You forget it's there. Friends don't let friends...

U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    I put a set of CT 405 flat grips on a S&W PD340. Not my image, but with flat grips this prints no more than an LCP in a pocket holster. It's the SAME WEIGHT as an LCP but has five shots of .357 Mag or .38 +P. Yes, it costs more but my life is worth more. This little sucker has been in the swim trunks. You forget it's there. Friends don't let friends...

I tried those. Had a 442. I dislike pocket carry to begin with. I can tolerate the LCP when not being active but those are too big/thick. .

Besides the J frames are no less mouse guns. And I can throw in a second 7 round mag in the other pocket.

Last edited by Arik; 08-30-21 at 10:49.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I tried those. Had a 442. I dislike pocket carry to begin with. I can tolerate the LCP when not being active but those are too big/thick. .

Besides the J frames are no less mouse guns. And I can throw in a second 7 round mag in the other pocket.
    To be fair the .38Spl can throw some heavier bullets than a .380 but the velocities are comparable. And, as you mention, the cylinder makes it a tad too thick for true pocket carry (talking front pants pocket, not cargo pockets.)
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To be fair the .38Spl can throw some heavier bullets than a .380 but the velocities are comparable. And, as you mention, the cylinder makes it a tad too thick for true pocket carry (talking front pants pocket, not cargo pockets.)
    I realize the limitations of the 380. It certainly not my EDC and it's not meant to storm a castle. However, I feel confident it will change someone's mind.

I like revolvers and I tried to make a J frame work but in the end it had too many things going against it for me

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I tend to agree. But as a backup to a backup, or even in a non-permissive environment? Heck, even a 25 ACP is better than harsh words.
    I mean... I can get pretty creative with a burn.....
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    Got one, ordered a 12rd mag for it also. Found that the Hydra Shok Deep (99gr) consistently penetrates beyond the FBI minimum 12". Like 13-14" with consistent (albeit limited) expansion. Now is it the ideal round for a 500lb Sumo wrestler? Probably not, but the weapon size, capacity, and bullet performance seems like the most acceptable----or least unacceptable----choice for .380 at this time.

Opinions from the peanut gallery?
    Does your LCP Max damage bullets during the cycle of operation? Google image search "LCP feed ramp bullet damage" and click from there. Basically the design of the LCP and LCP II allows the top round in the mag to impact the bottom edge of the feed ramp under recoil with enough force to physically damage the bullet. My LCP (that I have owned since 2009) does this and when I became aware of it decided that hollow points were probably moot since the damage would likely effect how the HP would perform. .380 is bad enough with expansion, no need to add to the equation. For the very odd time that I carry my LCP I use FMJ. Underpenetration is more of a concern than overpenetration.

OK, back to the Max. 10 rounds of .380 in my pocket is enticing. 12 even more so. If you can shoot it accurately and the gun is reliable than there is nothing wrong unless you substitute it for a better gun in a better caliber.

LCPs, historically, are recoil spring sensitive, if you plan on shooting this gun on the regular be ready to swap out springs every 1000 rounds or so...honestly its better sooner rather than later so stock up. The finish Ruger uses for their pistols SUCKS. It will wear quickly and rust just as easily. If that sort of stuff bothers you then plan on a paint job.

Final thought: the LCP Max (or any other micro pistol) should not be carried if you can carry a larger and more effective pistol; 12 rounds does not make it a 'fighting' pistol, it's still just a BUG to your BUG with the added bonus of extra chances. I know myself, as well as colleagues, have fallen into the path of least resistance from time to time.

Again, be sure to check for feed ramp bullet damage - no sense in running HPs if they are pre-deformed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast