Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock triggers vs Geissele/KAC/MBT, anything inherently more reliable or durable ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I shot about 5K rounds of 5.56 last year, I might have dry fired that much.

I probably should shoot more as I have a 60 yard range at my office.

I would have zero concerns about the triggers with that shooting amount, however, generic replacement of springs would be a more likely eventual issue.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I’m not concerned about wearing them out, I’m all SSA all the time, have been for a decade, now have an SSA-X on the way. Hell I probably have three spare SSAs and a few spare sets of pins and springs.

I was just wondering about stock type triggers and if they would last longer than something like an SSA or be more reliable in any way. I’m building an AR for friend and he wants a hard-ass mil-spec trigger because he thinks it’ll last longer and be more reliable. I didn’t know how to answer that as the only 2-stages I’ve ever owned have been SSA, one SSA-e, and an MBT.
    Last edited by 17K; 08-29-21 at 18:57.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I believe the SSA's are the gold standard for durability. I have to think the materials used are top shelf for the prices vs only the springs to make a trigger stout and good. I would love to hear KAC and the SSA folks chime in. They are the only ones that could back that concept up. Every time I have studied why KAC cost so much, there is more to it than just the KAC stamp (ie SR25 KAC mags).

It's an interesting question though. There is a certain feel to that stock Colt trigger that takes some pull then it wacks with authority.

I'm and SSA guy all the way too, I had never heard of the "X", pretty solid trigger it seems. I hope to get a range report when you get that installed. I speculate that the lighter trigger pull with SSA & SSA X would enhance longevity vs stock mil spec Colt.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-29-21 at 19:47.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    it's not a question of single vs 2 stage, so much as a question of adjustable vs non. most adjustable designs have set screws that allow you to change the weight of pull, and those screws are notorious for backing out.

I did buy one high end trigger that was not properly heat treated. after a few hundred rounds you could see fairly deep dent where the back of the firing pin hit the face of the hammer. it wasn't right, but it still would have taken a LOT of rounds to cause an issue. improper treating of the sear would be more annoying.

imho, the disconnector in a mil-spec trigger is a wear item. i keep spares. eventually, it will start doubling.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In that case, go with a SSA and heavier disco spring. Its what I use on my duty carbine. I prefer the slightly heavier and more predictable trigger pull. Sounds like it might be the ticket for your buddy as well.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Do you get the spring from Geissele?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Do you get the spring from Geissele?
    Yes, I'm not sure if they still have them or not. If not, Brownells will have them.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    Has anyone ever seen or heard of a Geissele SSA or Knight’s two stage trigger breaking after a high round count? Same goes for the Larue trigger. I am talking about the hammer, trigger or sear, not the springs. Just curious, as it may answer the op’s question. Personally I have not.

If I am not mistaken, the Knight’s two stage trigger is the oldest and for a long time was regarded as the standard before Geissele came to the scene. I’m sure it has undergone improvements. Any SME with knowledge about the evolution of SR-15/25 triggers would be helpful.

FYI, I own both a Knight’s SR-15 two stage trigger in a Knight’s lower and at least three Geissele SSA triggers. I honestly can’t tell a difference. They all work great.
    Last edited by MadAngler1; 09-02-21 at 18:17. Reason: spelling correction

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Geissele endurance-tested National Match and Super Select Fire (USSOCOM SOPMOD) triggers to 200,000 cycles, finding GI trigger and hammer springs should be replaced at 9,000 cycles (conveniently for the USAMU, before mounting the fourth barrel).

Endurance-wise, the Geissele will out-last your lower (when the trigger and hammer pins "Egg out" and become oval-shaped).

The SSF is in all USSOCOM M4A1s. The HK 416 that shot Usama Bin Laden in the face had a Geissele trigger in it ("For God and Country").

We replaced 3rd Ranger Battalion and Regiment Sniper KAC SPR triggers after approximately 3,500 rounds (losing their first stage).

The Geissele National Match is a high speed trigger. Note the hammer is smaller-profiled than the KAC, and shaped so the end of the pivot arm hits the firing pin. It is machined-out to an "I-Beam" configuration to cut weight for faster lock time.

Dave Tubb (then 11-time NRA National Highpower Rifle Champion) used an SR-25 to win twice. He drilled Commander-style lightening holes in the KAC hammer to lighten it up.

Geissele National Match:

Lightened KAC SR-25 hammer:

Standard SR-25 trigger:

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    We replaced 3rd Ranger Battalion and Regiment Sniper KAC SPR triggers after approximately 3,500 rounds (losing their first stage).
    So was the first stage worn out at 3,500 rounds or did the conversion cause them to lose the first stage. Interesting and insightful post Sinister.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast