Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stock triggers vs Geissele/KAC/MBT, anything inherently more reliable or durable ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    We replaced 3rd Ranger Battalion and Regiment Sniper KAC SPR triggers after approximately 3,500 rounds (losing their first stage).
    So was the first stage worn out at 3,500 rounds or did the conversion cause them to lose the first stage. Interesting and insightful post Sinister.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    it's not a question of single vs 2 stage, so much as a question of adjustable vs non. most adjustable designs have set screws that allow you to change the weight of pull, and those screws are notorious for backing out.

I did buy one high end trigger that was not properly heat treated. after a few hundred rounds you could see fairly deep dent where the back of the firing pin hit the face of the hammer. it wasn't right, but it still would have taken a LOT of rounds to cause an issue. improper treating of the sear would be more annoying.

imho, the disconnector in a mil-spec trigger is a wear item. i keep spares. eventually, it will start doubling.
    I was under the impression that KAC and SSA triggers were not adjustable. Do they have set screws that are adjustable? I just thought you had to change springs for different pull weights. But I am by no means an expert, so its certainly possible.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I would consider Geisseles MORE reliable than mil-spec for this reason alone. My SSAs would set off 7n6 primers on my 5.45 upper every time. Mil-spec triggers needed a stronger "red" spring to ignite the harder russian primers even then it wasnt 100% reliable, it also made the trigger feel like crap.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I was under the impression that KAC and SSA triggers were not adjustable. Do they have set screws that are adjustable? I just thought you had to change springs for different pull weights. But I am by no means an expert, so its certainly possible.

PB
    The SSA is not adjustable with a screw. You can switch springs around, which I did with a Tricon to the lighter SSA-E spring set. If you were not aware, the Super Tricon is the SSA with a cool trigger face.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The KAC simply lost the first stage and fired like regular M16 triggers.

You can adjust both SSA and SSF (as well as Rock River) first-stage weight by bending the trigger spring legs. You might be able to try lighter disconnector springs.

Geissele, Krieger-Milazzo, and Armalite National Match triggers have set screws. First stage adjustment on the old KAC only adjusts creep. I'm told there's a second-generation KAC trigger, but since I started shooting with Geissele and Krieger-Milazzo (Wisconsin) triggers I left KACs behind. A little blue lock-tite keeps them from moving.

Geissele and KAC both have lighter trigger and disconnector springs to drop trigger break to around 3.5 pounds for NRA Match Rifle (vice 4.5 pounds for military and CMP Service Rifle competition).

Those are the most popular National Match triggers. I believe Jewell has discontinued theirs.

Others call their triggers "Match" because you can use them for 3-gun or PRS-style shooting. The 4.5-pound light-end weight is non-negotiable for the Fleet and Navy Matches, Interservice, and Camp Perry.

Geissele triggers are USSOCOM-approved for the MK 11, MK 12, M4A1 (fleet-wide), and the HK416. KAC is in the MK11 and MK12.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Sinister, do you have/recommend any images or video references that show the extent of bending the trigger spring? I’ve got an extra set and wouldn’t mind splaying around with that.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The SR-25 is back a page.

Here's an info page for Wisconsin (Krieger-Milazzo) triggers: https://wisconsintrigger.com/nationa...r-pull-weight/

You do the same for other brands (just use GI springs).

You can see different hammer spring leg angles for Geisseles (normally shipped pre-set at the factory for different triggers and applications):

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Very interesting, thanks

Feedback Score
    So there you have it. Geissele is king indeed of all triggers. Thanks for the informative posts Sinister.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    There is a good, cheap option to shit single-stage GI-type triggers in factory or "I built it" lower parts packages (it's a good set for lower parts kits without trigger components).

Schmid makes a REALLY simple after-market 2-stage trigger marketed by a few dozen different outfits. It averages somewhere around $75 to $85 (I just bought two more from Aero Precision at $50 apiece on Labor Day special).

Installed with their factory red disconnector spring the pull is good but heavy -- somewhere around six pounds. Replace that spring with factory GI and it'll go lighter, with a little squishiness or creep.

Cut a coil to coil-and-a-half off the spring and the pull drops to a clean and light 4 pounds.

Note the hammer's I-beam construction (like Geissele's).

I can't tell you about the trigger's longevity, but it makes an affordable option.

Here's a cool offer:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast