Thread: 300 BLK QC Question

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)

300 BLK QC Question

I bought 4 boxes of hunting ammunition for a recent 300BLK build. The neck crimp looks strange to me but I have never reloaded for a rifle. It looks almost like some sort of collet was used but the serrations are not equally spaced. The OAL also varies 3-4k from bullet to bullet. I have email Winchester twice with no response. What do you guys think?

Feedback Score
    If will be just fine. Shoot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I bought 4 boxes of hunting ammunition for a recent 300BLK build. The neck crimp looks strange to me but I have never reloaded for a rifle. It looks almost like some sort of collet was used but the serrations are not equally spaced. The OAL also varies 3-4k from bullet to bullet. I have email Winchester twice with no response. What do you guys think?

It may or may not shoot just fine, only one way to find out. It actually looks more like stab crimping to me which I would definitely not pay for in quality hunting ammo. It would also lead to shortened case life should you choose to reload.

Are you measuring Cartridge Overall Length (COL)? If so then the variance wouldn't concern me too much. Bullets tips are not extremely consistent. This is why long range shooters pay more attention to Cartridge Base to Ogive (CBTO) length, the ogive being much more accurate.
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 08-30-21 at 09:57.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Take the one with the longest COAL and make sure it chambers in your 300blk. Shoot half a box, this will naturally check function, but then pick up the brass and look for split case necks or any other deformities. All that will be putting an enormous amount of effort into shoot some factory ammo. But if you are concerned that's what you can do to ease your mind.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain