Thread: Building a commander, sources for budget friendly, yet quality parts

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Looks great!

You are better with that Alumahyde...

Than I am!

Klonimus, seems to have a relationship with Magnum Research and BUL, in Israel...

Which, is a good thing!!!
    Thanks.

The secret to Alumahyde, is using a heat gun with application. Get your parts nice and hot, spray, heat, spray, then bake parts for 3 hours at 195 degrees.
    Alumahyde is awesome! And hard as a rock.
    Last edited by camoman; 10-11-21 at 07:18.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Kart barrels are Carbon, not Stainless.
    Thanks for the lead.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Tagged... because my Kimber TLE/RL II needs a new bbl. Wanna see what the brain trust recommends!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I didn’t see what caliber you’ll be building, assume .45 ACP or 9mm.
    .45 ACP is the simplest to put together.

If building a 9mm I’d strongly advise using a ramped barrel. There are 2 types of ramped barrels; Wilson/Nowlin and Clark/Para. Your frame will need one of these cuts for the barrel ramp.
    KKM produces good barrels, BarSto was good when Irv Stone was still alive, but quality went south after his death. It may have improved in the last few years.
    The KKM barrels I’ve worked with came short chambered.

The Kart “gunsmith fit” barrels came short chambered, at least a couple years ago.
    Their “EZ Fit” barrels, while in no way “drop in”, were capable of being fit by anyone with minimal to moderate assembling skills.
    The EZ Fit barrels, if properly installed, are capable of very good precision/accuracy.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I didn’t see what caliber you’ll be building, assume .45 ACP or 9mm.
    .45 ACP is the simplest to put together.

If building a 9mm I’d strongly advise using a ramped barrel. There are 2 types of ramped barrels; Wilson/Nowlin and Clark/Para. Your frame will need one of these cuts for the barrel ramp.
    KKM produces good barrels, BarSto was good when Irv Stone was still alive, but quality went south after his death. It may have improved in the last few years.
    The KKM barrels I’ve worked with came short chambered.

The Kart “gunsmith fit” barrels came short chambered, at least a couple years ago.
    Their “EZ Fit” barrels, while in no way “drop in”, were capable of being fit by anyone with minimal to moderate assembling skills.
    The EZ Fit barrels, if properly installed, are capable of very good precision/accuracy.
    It’s a .45

Feedback Score
    Hi,
    Well, the Kart Barrel is almost Legendary.

I used a Remsport SS, that admittedly fit their slide as if it was hand fit on the hood.

They are excellent barrels, and used to come up on sale, at their site, before the madness.

Feedback Score
    I use Kart barrels for all my builds mainly because they're carbon steel, not stainless steel. I don't care for stainless steel in 1911s. The nice thing about Kart, back before the covid craze, is they offered a very nice discount for military and LEO. If you sent them a copy of your DD214, you got the discount. I don't know if they're still offering that given the current situation. A phone call to them would answer that question.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12