Thread: Apex Forward-Set Trigger for M&P 2.0 Compact for CCW?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Apex Forward-Set Trigger for M&P 2.0 Compact for CCW?

I’m contemplating swapping out the stock trigger on my M&P 2.0 Compact, and am wondering if there is any consensus about running either the Apex Flat-Faced Forward Set Trigger or Action Enhancement Trigger in a defensive pistol. Espescially interested in feedback from folks who have run both.

I find the break of the stock trigger plenty workable, but would like a much shorter take-up.

I think the forward set trigger is most interesting, but worry it would be too light for a concealed carry handgun. I prefer a little bit of wall before the break. Don’t really like just sweeping through.

Thanks!
    Last edited by KirkS; 08-30-21 at 13:54. Reason: Clarify title

Feedback Score
    I bought the flat face trigger for my Compact 2.0. Sometimes it wouldn’t reset when cycling the slide by hand. It didn’t do it when firing, but it was disconcerting regardless. I emailed Apex about it and they never responded. Fortunately I bought it from Brownells and with their awesome warranty I just got rid of it. I didn’t really like the feel of it anyway. I thought it could use a more defined wall, as you mention.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Both are way better than stock, but I like the flatty more. You can’t go wrong with either. You’ll have to play around with the springs to decide which is right for you and your purposes.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Not the flatty but have the curved aluminum forward set kit in a 2.0 compact. Trigger pull is 4 lbs, definite wall before the break. I did install the purple sear spring as the oem spring gave me a 3.5 lbs pull. Great for competition, but a bit light for carry.
    Mark

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    I bought the flat face trigger for my Compact 2.0. Sometimes it wouldn’t reset when cycling the slide by hand. It didn’t do it when firing, but it was disconcerting regardless. I emailed Apex about it and they never responded. Fortunately I bought it from Brownells and with their awesome warranty I just got rid of it. I didn’t really like the feel of it anyway. I thought it could use a more defined wall, as you mention.
    Thanks for that feedback. I’ve had excellent customer service from Apex, but that was a decade ago when they were a lot smaller.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the feedback. I worry the forward set would be too light for a carry gun (for my preferences). If I make the leap, it will be with the Action Enhancement Trigger.
    Last edited by KirkS; 09-17-21 at 17:52.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    No idea what your preference is in trigger pull weight for a carry gun, but be aware that if you install any of the Apex kits that include their sear, the trigger pull will be reduced from the OEM components. You can counter that by installing a heavier than standard trigger return spring, which is included in their kits.

Mark

Feedback Score
    I have long fingers and grew up shooting 1911/2011 pistols.

I LOVE the APEX flat.

NRA Life Member
    USPSA-IPSC

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I personally didn’t feel comfortable using the FSS without a manual safety. I swapped it out for a DCAEK and played with the springs until I was happy with the feel. I’m don’t mind trigger pretravel as long as it’s smooth. I do prefer a short reset, so minimal over-travel is nice. I ended up with the DCAEK with aluminum trigger shoe; Apex sear and striker block, factory trigger return spring and Apex heavy duty sear spring.

ETA: The FSS is really running at the edge of design tolerance for the M&P. You have to make sure you use the correct striker block and might need to adjust the trigger bar so that the striker block is fully disengaged when the sear trips. The older M&Ps used to have striker to striker block peening and light strikes if the timing wasn’t adjusted properly.
    Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 09-18-21 at 21:19.