Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig Tread 716 & 716i...Is there a difference?

Feedback Score

Sig Tread 716 & 716i...Is there a difference?

I'm in the market for a Sig Tread 716 or 716i. Different places say different things, so it's a little confusing. Are they actually two different rifles? Are they the same thing? Does it make a difference? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    This may get moved into the the other-than-5.56 sub forum.

However, I believe the 716 is piston and the 716i is direct impingement. And I thought that the “Tread” version was only DI.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    This is why I'm confused. I'm seeing both. A lot of conflicting information on different sites. I'm seeing a 716 Tread, and a 716i Tread.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewell View Post
    This is why I'm confused. I'm seeing both. A lot of conflicting information on different sites. I'm seeing a 716 Tread, and a 716i Tread.
    Not sure what you are reading/seeing, but my guess is people are simply omitting the “i”. If it’s a Tread, it’s DI, as far as I can see. But I’m not a dealer and I don’t work for Sig. why not email them?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm in the market for a Sig Tread 716 or 716i. Different places say different things, so it's a little confusing. Are they actually two different rifles? Are they the same thing? Does it make a difference? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I own a bunch of Sig rifles, both AR and MCX models. If what you are looking to buy is a Sig 716 Tread, it will be a DI rifle. The correct title, according to Sig is 716i Tread, but as you say, many now just refer to it as the 716 Tread. Sig does make a piston model 716 but that rifle is now limited to LE and military sales, as is its 516 piston series. All reports are that the 716 Tread is an excellent rifle and a lot of value for its normal price range. Regardless of what the seller calls it, a 716 Tread or a 716i Tread, it is the same rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Not sure what you are reading/seeing, but my guess is people are simply omitting the “i”. If it’s a Tread, it’s DI, as far as I can see. But I’m not a dealer and I don’t work for Sig. why not email them?
    I think you're probably right as far as omitting the "i".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjd75 View Post
    I own a bunch of Sig rifles, both AR and MCX models. If what you are looking to buy is a Sig 716 Tread, it will be a DI rifle. The correct title, according to Sig is 716i Tread, but as you say, many now just refer to it as the 716 Tread. Sig does make a piston model 716 but that rifle is now limited to LE and military sales, as is its 516 piston series. All reports are that the 716 Tread is an excellent rifle and a lot of value for its normal price range. Regardless of what the seller calls it, a 716 Tread or a 716i Tread, it is the same rifle.
    Yeah, it appears to be the same. Some retailers have it labeled as the 716i Tread in 308 Win, and others have it as the 716 Tread in 7.62 Nato. I'm just going to buy one and enjoy the hell out of it. Thanks for the information.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, it appears to be the same. Some retailers have it labeled as the 716i Tread in 308 Win, and others have it as the 716 Tread in 7.62 Nato. I'm just going to buy one and enjoy the hell out of it. Thanks for the information.
    All the Civilian Sig chambers are reamed at 308 even if it says 7.62 on the barrel and owners manual.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    At ~$1400 these days, is this a good AR-10 choice for the money. Use would be take to CMP range for the day and reach out a bit longer with regular AR and this rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    At ~$1400 these days, is this a good AR-10 choice for the money. Use would be take to CMP range for the day and reach out a bit longer with regular AR and this rifle.

I'd say it is. I've been looking for an AR10 for awhile now, and I kept coming back to the Sig 716i and the Savage MSR10 as the best values. I ended up going with the Sig b/c it was in stock. The only negatives I've heard about it are that the charging handle sucks, and it has a very heavy trigger. Even if I were to change those out, it'd still be a decent value.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast