Thread: ? Concerning AK SBRs

Feedback Score

? Concerning AK SBRs

I've got a thread in "other semi" about my Draco rust issue, so not gonna rehash it here. Just wanted to get some feedback from the more experienced NFA crowd.

How important is the manufacturer info (mfr, model, caliber) on the reciever? It's the serial # that really matters correct? Not really a vital question cause I do intend to reuse the reciever, but isn't the front trunnion (with the serial #) really the only critical piece. For example: as long as I don't asshole up the front trunnion can't I press a new barrel in, swap the stamped reciever, or anything else so long as I continue to build around the registered front trunnion?

Just curious. Yeah, I know "You are not lawyers nor are you ATF officials. No opinions offered are statements of legal opinion or regulatory fact..."
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Stamped receiver AK's are kind of in a different category because the ATF screwed up at some point along the line. Basically, the serial number for most stamped receiver AK's manufactured throughout the world is on what we call the front trunnion. Therefore most imported AK's do not have a serial number on what we commonly call the stamped receiver. Manufacturer, importer, model and cartridge information is put on what we call the receiver. As far as the ATF is concerned, what we call the front trunnion and what we call the receiver are married together for these types of stamped receiver AK's. Therefore, you can't separate what we call the receiver from the front trunnion and reuse it for building another rifle. If you want to reuse a front trunnion from an imported AK for the build of another AK, you first have to demill what we call the reciever to destroy what the ATF considers the firearm (receiver and trunnion married together) even though it really doesn't have a serial number on it. You don't have to demill the front trunnion even though it has the firearms serial number on it. Now if that wasn't confusing enough, the ATF requires that the serial number of US made AK's be put on what we call the receiver. If you have a US made stamped receiver with a serial number on it, then you can rivet a front trunnion to it that has a serial number on it that's not the same as the serial number on the receiver. This obviously creates some confusion as a kit built AK can have one serial number on the US made receiver and a different one on the front trunnion among other parts.

I explained all the above to point out that the front trunnion by itself is not ever the registered part. If the stamped receiver is foreign made and doesn't have a serial number directly on it (serial number on the front trunnion), you can't swap it with another receiver unless you destroy the one you're removing. If the stamped receiver is US made or one of the few foreign made ones that happens to have the serial number on the receiver instead of the front trunnion, you can remove the receiver and replace it. However, either way you'd be making another SBR when you installed the replacement receiver and would have to pay $200 again for other stamp. I know all this is confusing, so please don't hesitate to ask more questions. And for the record, it's my opinion that you absolutely shouldn't bother with trying get rid of the rust that might be between your Draco's front trunnion and receiver. Tons of AK's have surface rust like that. It's not going to get worse unless you seriously neglect it. Bottom line, it's not a real problem.