Thread: Free float handguards

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Free float handguards

So I am looking at building my first free float upper. It will be a carbine length gas system since that is what barrel I have. I am looking at these two handguards:

Centurion C4 M-LOK Rail (Carbine Cut)

BCM® MCMR-7 (M-LOK® Compatible* Modular Rail)

I really like the Centurion due to the extra length on the sides going around the front sight tower. Mainly based on aesthetics and extra protection for my hand. The BCM has a slight extension along the sides. I wish they went farther but I think they are acceptable. The biggest issue is the price, the Centurion unit being about $100.00 more than the BCM. So my question is this; is the Centurion worth an extra $100 more than the BCM? I'll get it if it is worth the extra money. Stronger, more stable, etc.?

Thank you

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I think they’re pretty equal as far as strength, both companies make great handguards, just different. The BCM is a lot smaller profile, it’s about the same as a KAC, the Centurion is bigger to accommodate the mating screws and bayonet lug.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I think they’re pretty equal as far as strength, both companies make great handguards, just different. The BCM is a lot smaller profile, it’s about the same as a KAC, the Centurion is bigger to accommodate the mating screws and bayonet lug.
    The Centurion uses standard barrel nut if that matters to you, you wouldnt have to remove front site post with the centurion. I prefer Centurion to BCM. I think they do feel a little more sturdy, but that is just my opinion. Both are well vetted. If you like that style and want to save a little money Midwest makes really good handguards as well and has an option around $200

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...-20xg2-blk.htm
    Last edited by everready73; 08-31-21 at 09:38.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Why do you want a free float handguard?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Check out the C4 Mlok 12in carbine FSP
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Thanks, I saw that one. I don't think I need that much rail. I'm also trying to keep the weight down, pencil barrel, etc..
    Last edited by 1986s4; 08-31-21 at 12:49.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    So I am looking at building my first free float upper. It will be a carbine length gas system since that is what barrel I have. I am looking at these two handguards:

Centurion C4 M-LOK Rail (Carbine Cut)

BCM® MCMR-7 (M-LOK® Compatible* Modular Rail)

I really like the Centurion due to the extra length on the sides going around the front sight tower. Mainly based on aesthetics and extra protection for my hand. The BCM has a slight extension along the sides. I wish they went farther but I think they are acceptable. The biggest issue is the price, the Centurion unit being about $100.00 more than the BCM. So my question is this; is the Centurion worth an extra $100 more than the BCM? I'll get it if it is worth the extra money. Stronger, more stable, etc.?

Thank you
    If you are looking at the Centurion, you can go with an extended rail as well, which helps eliminate barrel shadowing assuming you may put a light on it.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Where should the thumb rest when using that forward grip?

Feedback Score
    BCM or Midwest Ind. with a low profile gas block would be my choice.

NRA Life Member
    USPSA-IPSC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Where should the thumb rest when using that forward grip?

Where ever it feels comfortable to you as the individual. When I’m using a large hand stop like this, my thumb is usually pointed at the target along the side of the rail around 10 o’clock.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB