Thread: Some questions about issued/awarded optics in US service

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Some questions about issued/awarded optics in US service

I've been on an optic kick lately and have been reading about various optics that have been awarded contracts in the last decade. I have a few basic questions, that Google isn't helping me with.

1. Is the ECOS-O (Leupold Mk6/Aimpoint T2 combo) still in service? If not, what was it replaced by? The MAS-D R-VPS Nightforce 4x20? Something else?

2. Which dot size was chosen for the MAS-D Handgun Reflex Sight (HRS) (Trijicon RMR Type 2)?

3. What model/reticle/etc was chosen for the MAS-D Close Quarter Sight (CQS) EO Tech?

4. Which EOTech CQS magnifier was selected? Seems like by the time you go with an EO Tech & Magnifier, you are better off with the 1-6 SIG Tango6 (or legacy/interim Vortex Razor)...

Thanks,
    Jason

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You can contact the contracting fella at Crane who submitted the request on fedbizopps directly (his name and contact data are listed).

If you register at fedbizopps you might be able to get a copy of the TDP (fat chance, but possible).

The contracting guy soliciting info and bids is strictly an acquisitions and procurement buying guy and NOT a techy or end-user, but will have the documents showing what the users want or have bought.

Failing that, you can submit a Freedom of Information Act request to the contracting officer's unit. You may or may not run into an OPSEC wall.

===================

Example:

Sep 11, 2019 [Presolicitation]
    Sep 16, 2019 [Presolicitation]
    Jan 15, 2020 [Solicitation (Updated)]
    Jan 29, 2020 [Solicitation (Updated)]
    Feb 5, 2020 [Solicitation (Updated)]
    May 8, 2021 [Award Notice (Original)] MINIATURE AIMING SYSTEMS - DAY OPTIC (MAS-D) RANGING - VARIABLE POWER SCOPE (R-VPS)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    2. Which dot size was chosen for the MAS-D Handgun Reflex Sight (HRS) (Trijicon RMR Type 2)?
    This would suggest it's just an anodized RMR-RM06, which is 3.25 MOA: https://soldiersystems.net/2018/05/0...icon-rm06-hrs/
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Seems like by the time you go with an EO Tech & Magnifier, you are better off with the 1-6 SIG Tango6 (or legacy/interim Vortex Razor)...
    Magnifier with HWS/RDS has far superior low end performance, and can be reasonably used to passively aim under NODs.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Realize with gubbbiment contracting, logic doesn't always apply.

Requirements, Past Performance, Price, Customer Desires of a particular vendor, etc are what matter, in varying degrees and priorities, depending on the contract shop, organization, etc, etc.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    So I supervised the firearms program for 10 years in my Department before I retired. I was the Contract Officer Representative (COR) for firearms, Taser, body armor, JPS system and range cleaning. The federal contract process requires many steps. I was the technical expert for the programs I was the COR on. Firearms I think I was fairly knowledgeable on. Body armor and range cleaning was a learning curve with lots of research.

I will say with the contracting process what I liked or wanted was not always what the department needed. Once the technical specifications left my office no one else on the contracting process had any working knowledge of the items I was requesting. Many times I had to follow up with every person in the process to ensure nothing was being changed in the solicitation.

Two examples off the top of my head were when we solicited pistols the evaluation team picked the P320 Carry. I ordered holsters and lights on different contracts. The Contracting Officer just happened to CC me on the finalized contract before posting the award. They made a typo on the form and put the full size model number down instead of the Carry model. If I hadn't caught it we would have gotten 650 pistols that didn't fit the 650 holsters. The other screw up I did was when order rifles I specified a QD sling. I didn't write it up detailed enough and we ended up with Blackhawk slings that had a plastic quick release that they termed quick disconnect. Not at all what I wanted.

I could go on for hours with contracting issues. If you don't have someone on top of every step of the process the end user usually has to make due with what is considered the best value for the government. David