Thread: 556 13.6 intermediate gas suppressed only

Feedback Score

556 13.6 intermediate gas suppressed only

Any thoughts on running a noveske intermediate gas at 13.6 suppressed only. Noveske 556 18in intermediate cut to 13.6 with LMT e-bcg and carbine buffer. The gas port is at 093. Will be using adjustable gb but don't wanna go any larger than 101. Will be running factory 556 suppressed only. With this setup I'll have 2.1 inches of dwell excluding the can. Any input is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr4848675 View Post
    Any thoughts on running a noveske intermediate gas at 13.6 suppressed only. Noveske 556 18in intermediate cut to 13.6 with LMT e-bcg and carbine buffer. The gas port is at 093. Will be using adjustable gb but don't wanna go any larger than 101. Will be running factory 556 suppressed only. With this setup I'll have 2.1 inches of dwell excluding the can. Any input is appreciated.
    If you're going to be shooting suppressed only, you don'd need an adjustable gas block. What you need is a Black River Tactical gas tube.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    I'm aware of the brt tubes but im confused how they apply to this setup. My concern is if it will function with the short dwell plus can. I know there's a few folks out there that have cut down these intermediate gas barrels both kac and noveske and was hoping to get input data etc as to how well they ran.
    Last edited by mr4848675; 09-01-21 at 05:30.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    @Clint might have good input here. My initial thought was that this was not the best idea, but... Considering the 11.5” EXtended Carbine length gas + K suppressor works very well, and I believe Clint has mentioned that a 14” barrel is in the realm of ideal for midlength (I think), then perhaps intermediate suppressed-only might be a good setup.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I'm aware of the brt tubes but im confused how they apply to this setup. My concern is if it will function with the short dwell plus can. I know there's a few folks out there that have cut down these intermediate gas barrels both kac and noveske and was hoping to get input data etc as to how well they ran.
    You will need less gas with a can on full time vs more.

Feedback Score
    I'm hoping jediguy. I've done quite a bit of research on this setup and it's about time to make a final decision. I understand there's easier simpler setups. Kinda been there done that. And I've got those running flawlessly from mild to wild. I'm looking for something "special" in the 556 suppressed world. I really only run canned rifles anymore so I'm aware of the few short comings. On no level am insinuating that I'm Mr operator badass etc suppressed or unsuppressed. Far from it. But i do enjoy the hell out of assembling firearms. I'm of course wanting a good shooter but my primary goal is less crud, port pop, chamber pop/blowback etc. I've got two possible barrel length/handguard setups. I'm absolutely going to do one of them. I have all the parts and pieces for either. The barrel is a noveske 18in spr intermediate that I've taken the necessary measurements from. The rails are a kac urx4 13in. The other a G mk8 13.5. I love both but I really wanna do the urx4. With the urx4 I'll need the barrel cut to 13.6in. With the mk8 it would be 14in. Those are the lengths i want for suppressor/rail gap. That's a fairly significant difference in dwell time with dwell times being this short. Short being 2.1 for the urx4 and 2.5 for the mk8. I know I could do lw carrier with either and make them run but I wanna use the LMT e-bcg for this rifle/sbr. I have no issue though running less than carbine buffers even empty buffers. Then there's buffer springs and hammer springs. Anyway I thought I'd put one more post of there to see what folks thought. Thanks for your replies.
    Last edited by mr4848675; 09-01-21 at 17:31.

Feedback Score
    Deleted

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Go for it!

You've done the research.

A proper dedicated suppressed setup should have a longer than normal gas system.

There should be plenty of gas available with the suppressor, so don't touch the gas port.

Also no need for lightweight carriers or empty buffers.

This will likely run suppressed with a mil-spec BCG and H2 buffer.

Which suppressor(s) will be used?

I'm hoping jediguy. I've done quite a bit of research on this setup and it's about time to make a final decision. I understand there's easier simpler setups. Kinda been there done that. And I've got those running flawlessly from mild to wild. I'm looking for something "special" in the 556 suppressed world. I really only run canned rifles anymore so I'm aware of the few short comings. On no level am insinuating that I'm Mr operator badass etc suppressed or unsuppressed. Far from it. But i do enjoy the hell out of assembling firearms. I'm of course wanting a good shooter but my primary goal is less crud, port pop, chamber pop/blowback etc. I've got two possible barrel length/handguard setups. I'm absolutely going to do one of them. I have all the parts and pieces for either. The barrel is a noveske 18in spr intermediate that I've taken the necessary measurements from. The rails are a kac urx4 13in. The other a G mk8 13.5. I love both but I really wanna do the urx4. With the urx4 I'll need the barrel cut to 13.6in. With the mk8 it would be 14in. Those are the lengths i want for suppressor/rail gap. That's a fairly significant difference in dwell time with dwell times being this short. Short being 2.1 for the urx4 and 2.5 for the mk8. I know I could do lw carrier with either and make them run but I wanna use the LMT e-bcg for this rifle/sbr. I have no issue though running less than carbine buffers even empty buffers. Then there's buffer springs and hammer springs. Anyway I thought I'd put one more post of there to see what folks thought. Thanks for your replies.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply. I've been corresponding with two other well respected fellows from the forums and they seem to agree with you. I'm a little standoff-ish mentioning the suppressor make due to an apparently controversial company owner. Never cared to read his post, i don't do YouTube etc. so i could quite frankly give two $&!? 's about his personal life and personality. I do love his suppressors though. Now that that's out of the way i have the Q 30cal line and a jumbo shrimp in nfa approval land. So initially it'll be the trash Panda and half Nelson then the 6.5 creedmore jumbo shrimp. I'll play around with those three for awhile before deciding which one stays on it. Most likely the jumbo shrimp. That's the plan anyways. Although the 30s have been exceptional on my other 556 so who knows. I know there's more "proper" cans for this mostly LMT 556 and I'll probably entertain some in the distant future but for now I'm very happy with the q lineup. Again thanks for your input and I welcome any advice, suggestions etc you might have.
    Last edited by mr4848675; 09-02-21 at 17:08.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    First, let's talk about "dwell time". Bottom line, don't worry about it. Dwell time in this case, is defined as the time it takes the bullet to travel from the gas port to the muzzle. The common myth is, it's during this time the gas system charges and the action must cycle.

First, the time difference between different gas port locations and barrel lengths is measured in millionths of a second. Second, the action doesn't even begin to move until the bullet has exited the muzzle. Instead, the system charges on the residual pressure in the bore and the action cycles before the pressure blows down below operating pressure. If this wasn't true, if the system were pressurized and cycled the action during the very brief time the bullet "dwelled" in the bore between gas port and muzzle, suppressors wouldn't change cycle speeds at all.

In your application, this is good news because a suppressor increases blow down time. It increases the time it takes for the gas pressure in the bore to blow down below operating pressure. The downside is, the higher pressure increases the flow through the gas port which increases carrier speeds. A smaller port is needed to return carrier speeds to normal.

That's where Clint's gas tubes come into play. They have a reduced gas port to give your AR the correct flow for the combination of barrel, suppressor/No suppressor and ammunition you plan to use.

I don't know if your gas port is too large for your intended use, nor do I know if BRT offer a gas tube for the Noveske intermediate length gas system. But, if a BRT gas tube is available for your application, it's cheaper and more durable than using an adjustable gas block.

I have a couple of adjustable gas blocks I used for experimenting with buffer and suppressor combination. However, for everyday shooting, the adjustability isn't needed. Once the gas flow is set for ammo type and suppressed/not suppressed (my suppressed uppers are always suppressed) there's no need to make any adjustments. I have one 6933 that is always shot suppressed and it uses a BRT microport in the cut down FSB. It's not adjustable, but it doesn't need to be.

Let us know how your project turns out. I'm curious what you find works.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American