Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Handguns or extremely short carbines are the tool for house clearing

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The military has an acronym for everything, and one analytical tool we use is called "METT-T."

Mission - Enemy - Terrain - Troops (available) - and Time.

What is your enemy's (bad guy / possible bad guy[s]) Most Dangerous (to you) Course of Action? What is his Most Likely Course of Action? What is your acceptable level of risk?

In civilian parlance, pick the right tool for the job. If you have a whole gun safe or gun room, which should you pick for the nightstand (or in this case, the original poster's scenario)? Kinda like a new golfer getting handed a big bag of loaner clubs.

If your only tool is a hammer, all problems look like nails.

Feedback Score
    I think a short carbine like an AR SBR is ideal for home defense use. At least for me. One thing is I carried something very similar for 28 years in the Army. The AR platform is so second nature to me, it's what I'm best with of any weapon I own. That's the biggest thing. It's also not that heavy, doesn't recoil that much, fires 30 rounds of a relatively good cartridge, and is packaged small enough that any doorway or hallway isn't going to be a problem. You have rifle like stability in shooting it with two handed control, plus a cheekweld, and the stock on your shoulder, and it's slung so you can go hands free when needed. It's most likely gonna be fitted (mine is) with a red dot, and a light giving you very fast target acquisition, and positive target ID in any lighting conditions.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score

Handguns or extremely short carbines are the tool for house clearing

LAV solo room clearing at gunsite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ijYGRkxtMY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatal
    Last edited by ubet; 11-02-21 at 23:26.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post

I can't even imagine how many people must shoot the guy "pointing" that hotdog...
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I like the way Walt explained the steps for clearing and the reasons for his recommended techniques.

I would be reluctant to clear any building, day or night, without a flashlight readily available.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I have a MK18 by my bed but HK handgun in the family room, for a quick grab. Check that light every couple months on your HF guns. Last time I picked it up the light was faint. I keep hand lights handy too. If its before night night time and I'm not by my bed, my HK will go on duty.

PB
    Had that happen a few years ago. Something crashed in the middle of the night downstairs. Grab pistol, take about 3 steps light is dead. Backtrack to my nightstand, Surefire batteries are dead.

Kids were down the hall at the top of the stairs, so I hustled over in the dark, covered the stairs and slunk back into the laundry room (clear view down the stairs) and waited, listening, for about 5 minutes.

Then, thoroughly puckered, cleared the downstairs and basement.

Then, of course, replaced batteries and put another magazine in my nightstand.

I'd have preferred my mk18 that night.
    Last edited by Caduceus; 12-07-21 at 18:14.

Feedback Score
    37 (97%)

I know some of it is possibly the camera angle but there looks to be a lot of flagging of ones hands during door knob manipulation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123