Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handguns or extremely short carbines are the tool for house clearing

Feedback Score

Handguns or extremely short carbines are the tool for house clearing

Based on the small amount of training I've had and my own attempts at getting better at it.

I'm not talking about being in a squad and I'm not talking about clearing rooms when you KNOW very strongly suspect somebody uninvited is there and a threat.

I'm talking about those times when you don't expect anyone to be there but want to be sure. Alarm system issues, clearing a friends or relatives house after a period of inoccupancy, or you may have heard a suspicious noise in your own house but it's "probably" nothing.

Anyway, I was working on this (Haven't really put effort into training on this lately) with a carbine and comparing it my 14 inch 590 and a pistol.

I was never really satisfied with how it went with any kind of non-pistol and I've decided it's simply not a good idea and a pistol is the tool for the job. Or perhaps a very short shoulder weapon. Like 4 or 5 inch barrel shoulder weapon with a short stock. (Mp5K, etc. at the longest)

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Super short barrels are overrated. You should be able to do this pretty reasonably with a M4. MP5Ks are just more forgiving of poor technique and laziness.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    If you're just looking through a house why is your gun out? If it's a threat area, known or unknown, call the cops.

Seriously nothing wrong with getting training and advancing your own skills but if you strongly suspect someone just committed a home invasion dial 911 and barricade yourself or stand off and be a good witness.

As to handgun vs rifle, go with a rifle. If you have to address a threat 30 rounds of more accurate, more potent, less likely to over penetrate ammo is better than any double stack 9 to include PCCs. You should be able to maneuver a rifle one handed, especially an SBR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Budget View Post
    If you're just looking through a house why is your gun out?
    Well, that's not a bad thing to debate, either. "Just in case", I suppose.

Feedback Score
    If you're just looking through a house why is your gun out? If it's a threat area, known or unknown, call the cops.

Seriously nothing wrong with getting training and advancing your own skills but if you strongly suspect someone just committed a home invasion dial 911 and barricade yourself or stand off and be a good witness.

As to handgun vs rifle, go with a rifle. If you have to address a threat 30 rounds of more accurate, more potent, less likely to over penetrate ammo is better than any double stack 9 to include PCCs. You should be able to maneuver a rifle one handed, especially an SBR.
    This.

I have had to clear buildings by myself before. I would rather sandpaper a lion's ass than do it ever again.

If I HAVE to clear a building for some reason, I don't want to do it with a pistol. I want to do it wearing as much armor as possible and with a rifle with ammunition that is likely to stop a threat's actions as close to instantaneously as possible with one shot and the ability to fire more shots quickly to that threat and other threats.
    Last edited by CrashAxe; 08-31-21 at 17:19. Reason: grammar error

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This! Hand guns are for going out in public where you can't fight with the correct weapon. And if anyone chimes in with the damned Bird gun option, I'll kick them in the vag.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Well, that's not a bad thing to debate, either. "Just in case", I suppose.
    Staying in your room (weapon ready) and calling 911 is the best option. But, if you have to clear/check your house (to make sure your kids are safe, etc) in any of the “probable” reasons/scenarios you posted in your original post, for “just in case”, it is better to do it with gun in hand.
    Between rifle and handgun, go with a rifle always (train accordingly).
    Last edited by 202; 08-31-21 at 19:55.

Feedback Score
    For example:

A 34 inch wide short hallway going into a 4-way of open doors each door way 24 inches wide.

Even with doing things like raising the stock over your shoulder, I don't see how a shortish, 28-inch long carbine isnt going to make things much harder and make you more susceptible to a gun grab / parry. It also seems easier to get a pistol and your eye pointed towards corners without telegraphing your muzzle.

And if you go, say, right, and an attack comes from the left (now the rear) it's a hell of alot quicker to respond with a pistol then it is a rifle in such a tight confine.

If I was a bad guy with a kitchen knife hiding in a tight area like this I'd hope the person doing the clearing used a rifle or shotgun because I think my chances of getting that gun / killing the user before they could line up the muzzle on me are higher than if they had a pistol.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Ok it’s kinda retarded if you call the fuzz every time you hear something downstairs at night. There can and should be an escalation to things like this. That said, if I felt like I needed a rifle to clear, than yeah, that’s probably crossing a line into other areas of consideration.

Bottom line, if I hear something that bumps in the night but isn’t likely to be a B&E, I’ll take my Glock. Same with the few times I’ve gone into vacant properties that I had no reason to believe were anything other then vacant. If I felt like a rifle was justified, than it’s probably time to call for some help. But, having a MK18 for that situation isn’t the worst thing. For me, I’m going Glock w/ 17-19 rounds of Gold Dots to MK18 and have no desire to insert anything between those. For my wife, I’ve been considering adding an APC9 for sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Certainly not inviting LE into my life and home unless I'm at least 99% certain there is an intruder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast