Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Handguns or extremely short carbines are the tool for house clearing

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I absolutely had to put myself into a potential armed conflict in an enclosed space such as my home, I want to do it with a weapon that has a sling. I’m not overly concerned with pros and cons of my SBR or subgun, the fact that a sling secures them to my body is a pro that my handguns do not have. I would rather endure any potential hands on encounter with the two over the one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Super short barrels are overrated. You should be able to do this pretty reasonably with a M4. MP5Ks are just more forgiving of poor technique and laziness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Ok it’s kinda retarded if you call the fuzz every time you hear something downstairs at night. There can and should be an escalation to things like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Certainly not inviting LE into my life and home unless I'm at least 99% certain there is an intruder.
    What these guys said.

Should or shouldn't aside, I like handguns inside typical homes and similar structures. Short distances, tighter angles, furniture, and a need to handle doors/lights/stuff/people. You can also reholster or ditch a handgun faster in the event innocents or popo arrive to interact.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not my lane but there's a list of potential pros and cons to either to choice. Best advice I see is use what you have the most training with and comfort level for in the scenario given in the OP. Different scenario and context, would change that no doubt.

My own level and experience in training and comfort level has me agreeing with ST911.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Not my lane but there's a list of potential pros and cons to either to choice. Best advice I see is use what you have the most training with and comfort level for in the scenario given in the OP. Different scenario and context, would change that no doubt.

My own level and experience in training and comfort level has me agreeing with ST911.
    Agreed. A lot of the reason I am comfortable with my Glock is because I can shoot it pretty well and it never has less than 16 rounds on board. Even though I agree with the reasons that ST1911 stated, my considerations may change if I was inexperienced with handguns or only had something like a six shot revolver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post

That's good advice, thanks. Very pragmatic.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Gather family (all upstairs) while covering stairs with long gun and call 911. Arm family with their favorite night shoot head shot gun and wait for intruder or police whoever comes first. No badge = dead right there.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That's good advice, thanks. Very pragmatic.
    I'm no SME on that topic, but do apply pragmatism to a problem where ever possible.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Ok it’s kinda retarded if you call the fuzz every time you hear something downstairs at night. There can and should be an escalation to things like this. That said, if I felt like I needed a rifle to clear, than yeah, that’s probably crossing a line into other areas of consideration.

Bottom line, if I hear something that bumps in the night but isn’t likely to be a B&E, I’ll take my Glock. Same with the few times I’ve gone into vacant properties that I had no reason to believe were anything other then vacant. If I felt like a rifle was justified, than it’s probably time to call for some help. But, having a MK18 for that situation isn’t the worst thing. For me, I’m going Glock w/ 17-19 rounds of Gold Dots to MK18 and have no desire to insert anything between those. For my wife, I’ve been considering adding an APC9 for sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ^^^^Thanks Wake, saved me a lot of typing.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a MK18 by my bed but HK handgun in the family room, for a quick grab. Check that light every couple months on your HF guns. Last time I picked it up the light was faint. I keep hand lights handy too. If its before night night time and I'm not by my bed, my HK will go on duty.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    For example:...

And if you go, say, right, and an attack comes from the left (now the rear) it's a hell of alot quicker to respond with a pistol then it is a rifle in such a tight confine.

If I was a bad guy with a kitchen knife hiding in a tight area like this I'd hope the person doing the clearing used a rifle or shotgun because I think my chances of getting that gun / killing the user before they could line up the muzzle on me are higher than if they had a pistol.
    Not my lane either as I've only taken a couple of classes a year, referring to the underlined you need more training because in That senario you knowingly went past a room without "Clearing it".

With Regard to the second part , If you know it's a bad guy, and not some family member or friend you gave a key to. And he/she/it has the muzzle end
    Pull the "Damn Trigger". Some intruder at 0 dark thirty ain't grabbing your gun to ask what make and model it is.

Very few people can handle the sound of any firearm going off next to their body parts without flinching or trying to be elsewhere.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast