Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Lower flex when torquing buffer tube

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    That is an old manual and a mistake. 40 inch pounds = 3.33333 foot pounds, think about it.
    Well I'm old (and likely a mistake).

When I started assembling AR carbines the available locking ring wrenches (pre castle nut) were about 4 or 5 inches long:

OldWrench.jpg

So a greatly reduced torque value vs a rifle extension didn't seem outlandish. I used more than 3.33 ft-lbs, but no where near 40 ft-lbs.

I learned something today, so I'll fix it.

Feedback Score
    I use the Gorilla Method. No torque wrench. Just an armorer's wrench (pipe wrench works in a pinch too) and I keep putting pressure on it until I grunt like a Gorilla. Or the wrench slips. It's fun for the whole family. Oh and definitely drink at least a 12 pack of Old Milwaukee before attempting this. It helps with lubrication. The more you know.......

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Someone should make a polymer brace like the one that lines up the receiver extension with the pistol grip. If they swung the polymer forward a bit, they could also have a surface for clamping the middle of the receiver in a vice.

Robertthetexan pointed to plastixrevolution for some good products, I wonder if they could put this together.

Essentially, drop the receiver “down and back” into the jig, then slide the receiver extension forward into the end plate/castle nut and then receiver.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    Here ya go.
    i wonder if something could be rigged with the Geissele buffer tube tool jig, add on some steel parts to extend to the pistol grip boss. like somebody said, the Geissele jig is only half the equation. so that the whole thing could be clamped in a vise.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I’m going to reiterate the preference for a strong polymer here. At scale, we wouldn’t be faced with Geissele + aluminum prices for something that could be effectively printed.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    The receiver was probably flexing like crazy because you didn’t lube the threads. Lube the threads of the RE, and receiver with Aero Shell, and torque to 40 ft. lbs.

Feedback Score
    50 bucks - Kley-Zion Buffer Tube Buddy - it works

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    The receiver was probably flexing like crazy because you didn’t lube the threads. Lube the threads of the RE, and receiver with Aero Shell, and torque to 40 ft. lbs.
    Is the torque spec in the manual for lubricated threads versus dry?

IME, lubed fasteners will be overtorqued by the time the tq wrench clicks.

Thats my engine building experience where the tq specs are for dry non lubed fasteners.

I understand this is not an apples to apples comparison but the fastener being torqued doesnt care and neither does the tq wrench.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 99cobra2881 View Post

Thats my engine building experience where the tq specs are for dry non lubed fasteners.

I understand this is not an apples to apples comparison but the fastener being torqued doesnt care and neither does the tq wrench.
    Yes, the torque spec in the TM is for lubed threads. Barrel nuts, rifle receiver extensions and castle nuts all get lube.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99cobra2881 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    Yes, the torque spec in the TM is for lubed threads. Barrel nuts, rifle receiver extensions and castle nuts all get lube.
    The TM specifies lubricating the threads with Aero Shell 64 grease. To answer your other question, yes there will be a difference in final torque when it comes to lubed vs. non lubed. That’s why it’s important to know if the manufacturer specifies lube or not.

In regards to the receiver extension, it’s very much the same situation as the barrel nut. You’re torquing a steel nut onto an aluminum component. Without lube, these two metals create friction and you run a high chance of stripping or galling the threads.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast