Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Lower flex when torquing buffer tube

Feedback Score
    If any of you happen to have a 3D printer or access to one, there are some excellent models online for buffer tube vise blocks that you can print. I just printed one and used it to torque the castle nut on, and I was honestly surprised at how perfectly the buffer tube fit inside the block and at how sturdy it was. Well worth the ~$2 in plastic it cost to print.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    Here ya go.

i don't know what this is, but it looks like it clamps the receiver extension - rather than the receiver - in the vise, and this is correct... or at least what i've always thought was correct. i surprisingly don't see (perhaps i missed it?) anyone mentioning that the receiver extension is the part you clamp when tightening the nut, not the receiver - as the OP has observed, that unduly twists the receiver. obviously not something you want to do on an NFA receiver.

i have two bored out wooden blocks i use to clamp the receiver extension whilst tightening the nut. and i've also never torque-wrenched it... a good hard snug up is all you need. i'm pretty surte the only AR parts i've ever bothered to break out a torque wrench for are barrel nuts.

as to end plates not wanting to take a stake - it seems like most plates these days want to crack into the stake notch rather than just nicely, plasticly, forming into the notch, as another poster posted somewhere above. is this a heat treat thing, or have they started MIMing end-plates?
    Last edited by Deadman William; 10-12-21 at 15:24.
    why so serious?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadman William View Post
    i don't know what this is, but it looks like it clamps the receiver extension - rather than the receiver - in the vise, and this is correct... or at least what i've always thought was correct. i surprisingly don't see (perhaps i missed it?) anyone mentioning that the receiver extension is the part you clamp when tightening the nut, not the receiver - as the OP has observed, that unduly twists the receiver. obviously not something you want to do on an NFA receiver.

i have two bored out wooden blocks i use to clamp the receiver extension whilst tightening the nut. and i've also never torque-wrenched it... a good hard snug up is all you need. i'm pretty surte the only AR parts i've ever bothered to break out a torque wrench for are barrel nuts.

as to end plates not wanting to take a stake - it seems like most plates these days want to crack into the stake notch rather than just nicely, plasticly, forming into the notch, as another poster posted somewhere above. is this a heat treat thing, or have they started MIMing end-plates?

This is or was a prototype. I was told about 2 weeks ago these are in production and I am at the top of the list to get one.

Feedback Score
    This is or was a prototype. I was told about 2 weeks ago these are in production and I am at the top of the list to get one.
    They have a website for ordering?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    They have a website for ordering?
    Not yet, this was made by a machinist friend of a local Armorer. I made that pic back in July when the armorer was demonstrating it. Thats all the info I have. I contacted the armorer about 3 weeks ago and all he told me was its in production and I was at the top of the list to get one. If I ever do I will post up ASAP. Its home made in some ones garage shop so who knows. I offered him $200.00 for his, he just laughed.

Feedback Score
    Not yet, this was made by a machinist friend of a local Armorer. I made that pic back in July when the armorer was demonstrating it. Thats all the info I have. I contacted the armorer about 3 weeks ago and all he told me was its in production and I was at the top of the list to get one. If I ever do I will post up ASAP. Its home made in some ones garage shop so who knows. I offered him $200.00 for his, he just laughed.
    Got ya. Definitely keep us posted, the tool looks promising.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 10-13-21 at 14:15.

Feedback Score
    for those who don’t want to spend 200 dollars:

50 bucks - Kley-Zion Buffer Tube Buddy - it works

from the website:
    KZ AR15/M4 Receiver Extension Buffer Tube Block

Will work with both mil-spec & commercial buffer tubes
    Mounts receiver in 12, 3 , 6 or 9 o'clock positions
    Two polymer screws firmly holds buffer tube in position.
    Mounts in any vice
    6061 T6 Aluminum
    Clear, Type II class III hard Anodized
    Only, 3.5" wide, 6" tall
    Lightweight only 11.6oz
    Lifetime warranty
    100% Made In USA

i have no connection to the company and generally avoid them but this thing does what is asked of it.
    Last edited by m4luvr; 10-20-21 at 14:37. Reason: additional info

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456