Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will a Magpul Zhukov stock work with a left handed AK safety?

Feedback Score

Will a Magpul Zhukov stock work with a left handed AK safety?

Have a Krebs custom MK7 safety On one of my of my rifles, but am wondering if a right side folder will work with that.... Anyone have something similar? Thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    From what I've seen, you can do better than the fragile Zhukov stock. Find one that has a metal Galil style hinge.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    From what I've seen, you can do better than the fragile Zhukov stock. Find one that has a metal Galil style hinge.
    Honest question. Are people really seeing problems with these stocks? I totally get your point because I have heard the stories and seen a few videos but the gun world echo chamber often seems to blow things out of proportion. This is 100 percent not an attack. I am just looking for info. I am also suspicious because this stuff seemed to have started with a MAC video, which I consider the source of at least 45% of wrong information on the internet.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Honest question. Are people really seeing problems with these stocks? I totally get your point because I have heard the stories and seen a few videos but the gun world echo chamber often seems to blow things out of proportion. This is 100 percent not an attack. I am just looking for info. I am also suspicious because this stuff seemed to have started with a MAC video, which I consider the source of at least 45% of wrong information on the internet.
    Okay, so I have never actually broken a Zhukov stock myself, nor have I had the opportunity to do so. However, in addition to the rumors you mention, intuitively I can see how it would be easier to break one than it would an aluminum or steel hinged one. I've broken my share of plastic/polymer hinges in my life, and I can't see using polymer for a moving part in a firearm when there are metal alternatives.

I suppose I could add that the reputation of the SCAR folder could also be used as evidence. And arguably that's a beefier design than the Zhukov. Finally I must confess that I have an aversion to buying things that just "look cool," mostly because this is something of which I was once guilty. There's no denying the coolness factor of the stock, and I would bet that is what drives its sales. However, I've owned a Bonesteel folding stock on my Vepr, and I can tell you unequivocally that their design (based on the Galil mechanism) is as bulletproof as you can get. For about the same price as a Zhukov, last I checked.

To sum up my position, I suppose I would ask, why compromise strength for looks?

Hope I'm not coming off confrontational either, Greg. If you knew me IRL, you'd figure out that though I appreciate aesthetics as much as the next man, I would rarely compromise functionality. Seeing as we're in the same state and all, I hope we get to meet. The world's a weird place and getting weirder by the minute. We can use all the good allies we can get. Cheers!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Got to admit, I do not trust plastic hinges either.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Got to admit, I do not trust plastic hinges either.

Y'all are preaching to the choir. Hell, I don't even really care for plastic frames on pistols.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We know it snaps when you run over it with a truck if folded. How do triangle folders do under the same conditions.

It does offer a great cheekweld, different pull lengths, and good sling anchor points. It’s not just looks, and you can still buttstroke.

I also haven’t heard or scene it fail other than running over it folded. It survives that if deployed. So it’s a fail?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    It is my suspicion that the AK world is so conservative that a lot of these folks (no one here)are people who hate the looks, and look for a justification for hating it. I personally like plain old short AK stocks, preferably in plastic. But the zukhov seems to be a practical improvement. But I’m always fascinated to see how Internet “facts” develop.

Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    We know it snaps when you run over it with a truck if folded. How do triangle folders do under the same conditions.

It does offer a great cheekweld, different pull lengths, and good sling anchor points. It’s not just looks, and you can still buttstroke.

I also haven’t heard or scene it fail other than running over it folded. It survives that if deployed. So it’s a fail?

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post

I've had Magpul carbine stocks fail when dropped, while mounted on a carbine receiver extension. It's not taking me a lot of imagination to see how their folding stock, which has way less support, would fail in similar circumstances. However, as I tell my friends who insist on buying budget ARs, "if you don't really use it, it will last forever, so you probably don't have anything to worry about."

I mean, when you think about it, the vast majority of people that buy these rifles, shoot maybe 500 or 1000 rounds it's entire lifetime? And in the meantime keep it stashed in a closet or something, so for their use purposes, the durability requirements of many people on this forum are absolute overkill.

Would I buy one? Nope. Am I so "high speed" that I would break it if I did? Hardly. But for me, it isn't worth the risk. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the info guys.... I like the Galil style from CNC Warrior I’ll Probably go that route....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast