Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KISS setup - WML mounting on MOE mlok handguard

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Let's say we agree to disagree on the actual application of this mount with regards to its close proximity to the front sight tower.

I didn't know the association that Detective Mossie had with the design. Is he the same as the "Buck" that was a moderator here. I think I met him once at least a dozen years ago. He was a personable gentleman during our short meeting at the SHOT show. And I'm familiar with Mr. Vickers, as I've trained with him numerous times including night shooting sessions.

My very real concern about the mount or any mount that place the light near the front sight tower is that it requires the user to reach his finger/thumb around the sight to manipulate. A person wearing gloves might not feel the heat. But a civilian who is NOT an operator may not be wearing a glove. I am not an operator, never kicked down any doors, never serve a single warrant. But I have shot ten thousands of rounds in practice and training. I do know that an A2 front sight will get hot after 30 rounds.

Oh wait, I do operate keyboards and automobiles. Does that count?
    The burning of your thumb was sort of on my mind too. You that have used the Mossy, is this a problem?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Is he the same as the "Buck" that was a moderator here.
    Yes. He use mod the private LEO forum here on M4C, also.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    I was wondering about that Mossy. Is it difficult to operate the light switch? It looks a bit of reach for your thumb.
    For me, no. My arms are a little long, though. It might be a stretch for someone with arms on the shorter side.

The burning of your thumb was sort of on my mind too. You that have used the Mossy, is this a problem?
    No.

Let's say we agree to disagree on the actual application of this mount with regards to its close proximity to the front sight tower...
    I've had a Mossie mount for years and have run the AR it was mounted on hard more than one occasion. I've shot with it in the dark, practicing turning the light on and off. I've never burned myself manipulation the switch. Is it possible to get burned? Yes. After shooting a lot of rounds and getting the FSB hot. I don't often shoot with gloves. I'm not LE or military.

In the process, I've discovered a few things-
    - The only time the light gets hot is when it's switched on
    - I like the simplicity of the setup
    - I like having a weapon light mounted at the 12 o'clock position, especially when the AR is suppressed
    - The AR it's mounted to is for house defense and campsite security. If the AR should ever be needed, the light will be switched on before any shots are fired.
    - The light gets much hotter from just being turned on than it does from a hot FSB

The Mossie Mount may not work for everyone, but it does work well. It's lightweight and trouble free. I don't think the Mossie Mount is the do-all, be-all light solution, but it's the best one for my AR and my purposes. At least try it before dismissing it.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-13-21 at 10:56.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'm a big fan of the IWC mounts. The version I use is for the standard M4/CAR-15 handguards, but I believe the Magpul version works the same.

I like how close it keeps the light to the FSP without actually contacting it.

I also like that I can keep it mounted on the right side of the weapon, and the slim handguard allows me room to wrap my support hand thumb over the top of the handguard (with a "C-Clamp" type grip) to activate it. Positioning it this way also keep the light out of my way when it's not needed.

On top of that, it's in the perfect spot for me to reach with my strong side thumb should I choose to switch shoulders.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    What is that Micro mount you are running?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    What is that Micro mount you are running?
    It's the Knights Armament High Rise mount. As far as I know, it's the tallest micro mount available at 2.33". It's not for everyone of course, but I've come to really like the taller mounts. The dot seems to just appear in my line of sight with little to no effort. It's nice not having to lower my head to find the dot.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think this is what you're looking for: https://magpul.com/firearm-accessori...obal_color=118

You're going in a really good direction. For an AR that doesn't have to accommodate a laser aimer, this is an ideal setup.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The light with one of those setups probably won't get hot until you've put 4 or 5 mags through the gun. The handguards on the other hand are going to be quite toastie after 2 mags shot at a fairly rapid pace.
    This is true. If you plan doing a high volume of fire, you're going to miss the original double heat shield handguards, in which case you might consider the IWC mount instead. My only complaint with that setup would be the lack of provision for a forward grip, which for me is pretty essential to be able to press the tail switch with my thumb and still get enough leverage to control the muzzle flip. That's what's nice about the MOE handguards is they have options for forward grips without having to add janky rails.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The light with one of those setups probably won't get hot until you've put 4 or 5 mags through the gun. The handguards on the other hand are going to be quite toastie after 2 mags shot at a fairly rapid pace.
    It takes a lot of shooting before the Magpul MOE or Slimline handguards get uncomfortably hot.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yeah, you pointed that out to me earlier in the thread. Since you have first hand experience, I did believe you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast