Thread: 9mm reloading

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)

9mm reloading

So I’ve got a Dillon 650 set up for loading small primers, but want to limit doing caliber changes and was thinking about picking up a Dillon Square Deal B set up for 9mm. I’d obviously be losing the case feeder, but other than that, is there any other reason to keep loading it on my 650 and not on an SDB? Or should I pick up another 650 or a 750 and leave my current setup for running 9mm? I am running all of my large primer rounds on my 550, so I could pick up another 650/750 and run 9mm on the 550 and add a case feeder for it.

Thoughts?
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have 2 650's, one set for large primer and the other for small primer. This way it is just the caliber specific changes.

Most of my rifle reloading is on a rock chucker or a T-7.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My 650 is a dedicated 9mm machine, i shoot a lot of 9mm. I do not load .223/5.56.

I guess I don’t follow your concern for changing calibers on your 650- it’s a Tool Head, case feeder tray, that should already be set up?

I have a 550 is a dedicated LP machine. I do not shoot a lot of LP ammo; LPP hunting handgun and CF LRP Rifle ammo.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    I would just load on the 650, no need for another press. Unless you’re like me and just want one.

I have a different brand press, but I load pistol on one…9mm and .45 ACP. If is complete with case feeder.

I use the other progressive press for rifle. I don’t have it set with a case feeder. I run most of my cases through twice during the load process.

I switch primer size out quite frequently.

But for me full progressive loading with a case feeder is a requirement for 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    My 650 is a dedicated 9mm machine, i shoot a lot of 9mm. I do not load .223/5.56.

I guess I don’t follow your concern for changing calibers on your 650- it’s a Tool Head, case feeder tray, that should already be set up?

I have a 550 is a dedicated LP machine. I do not shoot a lot of LP ammo; LPP hunting handgun and CF LRP Rifle ammo.
    No concern, caliber changes are a pretty straight forward process. I am just thinking I want a dedicated press for 9mm pistol ammo and wanted to get peoples opinions. I’ve got a MEC Marksman, XL 650, and an RL 550 right now.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    after running 9mm thru a 650, you'll feeling like you're trying to run thru deep swamp water trying to make headway with a dinky square deal

650 caliber conversions don't take much time.

just buy more toolheads

NRA Life Member
    USPSA-IPSC

Feedback Score
    When I started I got a 1050 and did caliber and primer conversions. It got old fast. So I narrowed my progressive reloading down to just 223 and 9mm and set up a press for each. If all I was going was swapping tool heads it wouldn’t be a big deal. But the case feeder and especially the bullet feeder should be left alone once you get them running smoothly.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    after running 9mm thru a 650, you'll feeling like you're trying to run thru deep swamp water trying to make headway with a dinky square deal

650 caliber conversions don't take much time.

just buy more toolheads

From what I've heard, this is correct. Not sure if they have a decent priming system on the current 550s, but mine is shit. I don't even use it. I love the press, but I've disabled the priming system by removing the actuator rod.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I owned 2 Square Deal B's, one set up for 9mm and the other for .38 Special, for over twenty years and they are good reloaders. If you have big hands, it will be difficult to reload on the Square Deal. If you make a mistake, don't expect to be able to rotate the shell plate counterclockwise and correct the issue. Caliber conversions take longer than on the RL550B.

If you absolutely need to have another reloader, I'd look for another RL550 or RL650.
    Train 2 Win