Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Short stroking BCM bolt carrier

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Short stroking BCM bolt carrier

I have a BCM which I shot today, and suddenly ran into it short stroking. Filmed a friend shooting my rifle in slo-mo, and the bolt only cycles half of the stroke. Basically, it doesn't even go back enough to eject the empty case, so it goes right back in the chamber.

Fortunately, one of the guys I shot with had a spare rifle, so he let me take use it to run some diagnostics. First, I used my upper on his lower, and the same thing occurred. Thus, I eliminated the buffer and buffer spring as the problem. Then I used his entire BCG in my upper. It then cycled perfectly fine. So now we know it's something within the BCG, and not because of the gas tube being undergassed, obstructed, or out of position somehow.

Did a little more testing, and used his bolt in my bolt carrier. The short stroking occurred again. Then I used my bolt with his bolt carrier, and voila, the gun cycled great once again!

So now I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with my BCM bolt carrier. If I had to guess, it must be something with the gas key. I last used the rifle in June for a 2 day class, and it ran like a champ then. The only thing I have done since then was clean the rifle entirely, and kept it lubed. When I cleaned it last, I ran a pipe cleaner through the gas key, so I don't think it could have been obstructed. But who knows if a piece of the pipe cleaner broke off, or some other crud got lodged in there.

Are there any other suggestions to rectifying the problem? I cleaned my BCG again tonight, and did all I could to make sure the gas key was free flowing, shy of removing the gas key from the carrier. Or should I contact BCM about what they can do about it?

Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Try a reverse torque test on the carrier key screws? I think 30 inch-pounds was recommended.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Try a reverse torque test on the carrier key screws? I think 30 inch-pounds was recommended.
    Before I tried reversing, I would try and tighten them to 50 inch pounds and see if the screws move.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    If its not your only rifle and you can stand having it inoperable for a bit, they've had great CS in my opinion so I'd just email them everything you posted here.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Before I tried reversing, I would try and tighten them to 50 inch pounds and see if the screws move.
    SOTAR does 20 in-lbs, then 30 in-lbs, both reverse. He said he never exceeds 30 inch pounds for testing. Ten minutes in on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ0gWT6Hx9w
    Last edited by Disciple; 09-04-21 at 20:55.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    SOTAR does 20 in-lbs, then 30 in-lbs, both reverse. He said he never exceeds 30 inch pounds for testing. Ten minutes in on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ0gWT6Hx9w
    There is no reason to test whether or not BCM correctly tightened the carrier screws, they did. The carrier almost certainly has a loose (unlikely) or broken carrier screw. Tightening them is the correct troubleshooting step in either case, but why?

As Wake said, the best action is to contact BCM.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Well, it was good thinking to do the parts change with your shooting friend, at least that way you were able to narrow it down to the carrier. Personally, I would do what an earlier poster said, and see if BCM can look at it to see what they think...who knows, you might get an entirely new one out of the deal.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Ok, I tried the above suggestions. The rear screw was snug at 30 in-lbs, but the front popped out of position as I was approaching the same torque. Strangely, now the screw spins freely. It doesn't come up off the gas key when turning counterclockwise, and when trying to tighten again, it just spins infinitely. Possibly stripped screws/threads? Would I be able to send the bolt carrier to BCM for fixing/replacing?

Thanks again for the help!

Feedback Score
    Most certainly stripped threads.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks! Very strange...just something that happened during production? I have no more than 1k rounds through it, and never touched the screws till now.

Anyhow, I will be contacting BCM after the long weekend. Hopefully they can help me out.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast