Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Short stroking BCM bolt carrier

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post
    Thanks! Very strange...just something that happened during production? I have no more than 1k rounds through it, and never touched the screws till now.

Anyhow, I will be contacting BCM after the long weekend. Hopefully they can help me out.
    I would guess the screw is broken not stripped. Its a not-uncommon failure, although not normal at 1000 rounds. BCM certainly should help you.

Andy

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Strangely, now the screw spins freely. It doesn't come up off the gas key when turning counterclockwise, and when trying to tighten again, it just spins infinitely. Possibly stripped screws/threads?
    This is just like the video I linked above, and there it was a sheared screw. Send it in and get it fixed.

Feedback Score
    If is your only AR then I would buy a spare BCG so that way you can change over to your spare BCG and worry about it later.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony617 View Post
    If is your only AR then I would buy a spare BCG so that way you can change over to your spare BCG and worry about it later.
    I've been looking but it doesn't seem like any quality mil-spec ones are in stock?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Brownells M16 nitride BCG is on sale for $100. A good spare for the price.

There is also the Expo Arms mil-spec carrier for the same price. Primary Arms house brand I believe. Probably not crap.

Both have a lifetime warranty.
    Last edited by Disciple; 09-05-21 at 16:50.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I guess whoever built this one didn’t get the seabag speech.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I've been looking but it doesn't seem like any quality mil-spec ones are in stock?
    I'd look at Black River Tactical:
    https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BC...Parts-c1852003

Also available at Forward Controls Design's website:
    https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.co...phosphate.html

Clint and Duffy (owners of BRT and FCD, respectively) are solid guys and contributors on this forum.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I would guess the screw is broken not stripped.

Andy
    Same thoughts here.

Did it start to get tight and then spin, or did it just spin. Seems odd that it would have worked for the first thousand rounds if it came from the factory that way….
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    SOTAR does 20 in-lbs, then 30 in-lbs, both reverse. He said he never exceeds 30 inch pounds for testing. Ten minutes in on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ0gWT6Hx9w
    Reverse torque check is not an acceptable inspection for final assembly (unless specifically called for by the tech data). Any fastener subjected to a reverse torque check should be loosened, the threads cleaned, inspected and re-torqued according to spec. A reverse torque can loosen the fastener without any perceptible movement leaving the fastener, not only under torqued, but loosened. Also, most torque wrenches are not certified for torque in a counter clockwise direction.

If there is the least suspicion a gas key is leaking, remove it. I've had a gas key fasteners that passed the torque check, where the fasteners were torqued in a clockwise direction with no signs of movement. Yet when the key removed, there were signs of leakage between it and the carrier. Cleaning and reinstalling the gas key solved the malfunction the AR was having.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast