Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Short stroking BCM bolt carrier

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Labor Day sale until Tue at Noon

https://www.surplusammo.com/products...ier-group.html

SAA AR-15/M16 - BCG MPI -NITRIDE - .223/5.56/300AAC Complete Bolt Carrier Group $79.99

For EMERGENCY
    SAA AR-15/M16 Bolt Assembly w/ Pins - Nitride 9310 MPI - 223/5.56/300AAC $27.99
    Last edited by RWH24; 09-06-21 at 20:57.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony617 View Post
    If is your only AR then I would buy a spare BCG so that way you can change over to your spare BCG and worry about it later.
    Yes, a BCG (or a couple) is one of those parts one should keep on hand.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Reverse torque check is not an acceptable inspection for final assembly (unless specifically called for by the tech data). Any fastener subjected to a reverse torque check should be loosened, the threads cleaned, inspected and re-torqued according to spec. A reverse torque can loosen the fastener without any perceptible movement leaving the fastener, not only under torqued, but loosened. Also, most torque wrenches are not certified for torque in a counter clockwise direction.
    I am sorry if I spread an unsafe method. I have no training in these things but I assume Chad Albrecht of SOTAR does. Perhaps I have misunderstood his method or where he employs it.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I am sorry if I spread an unsafe method. I have no training in these things but I assume Chad Albrecht of SOTAR does. Perhaps I have misunderstood his method or where he employs it.
    It is entirely possible that Chad removes, cleans and re-torques after his "reverse torque" tests. Everything does not make it to video.

EDIT - most torque wrenches are more accurate in the clockwise direction. Fastener torque measurements are more accurate when tightening. I am guessing in Chad's case an approximate reading is sufficient and the torque wrench adds a bit of uniformity.

Chad is not performing final inspection after assembly in his videos, he is effectively performing a "post mortem" to identify potential issues.

Personally, I would check for loose or broken fasteners by attempting to tighten them at the correct torque because I am too lazy to disassemble, clean, and then re-torque if they were tight in the first place. If they are loose or broken, it will be obvious either way.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-08-21 at 07:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So what happened? Stripped threads or a broken off fastener head? Either way, my bet is they over torqued it at the factory, the fasteners were sub par, or both.

Feedback Score
    this is an informative thread. good-to-know stuff. just-in-case.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post
    I've been looking but it doesn't seem like any quality mil-spec ones are in stock?
    BRT In Stock
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I’ve been really impressed with the AO Precision BCG that came with my URGI upper. Especially for the price they can be had at individually.
    I do wonder whether BCM will take care of you or just say it was your fault. Even if not, you’ll have a good spare bolt which is good to have.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    It is entirely possible that Chad removes, cleans and re-torques after his "reverse torque" tests. Everything does not make it to video.

MW is correct, as usual; most torque wrenches are designed to be accurate in one direction only. Fastener torque is definitely only measured when tightening. I am guessing in Chad's case an approximate reading is sufficient and the torque wrench adds a bit of uniformity.

Chad is not performing final inspection after assembly in his videos, he is effectively performing a "post mortem" to identify potential issues.
    Chad clearly distinguishes between autopsy and physical. He has stated that he does not reuse gas keys. I do not believe he is replacing gas keys on every carrier that gets a reverse torque test as part of the physical. He uses a Wheeler's F.A.T. wrench at 30 inch-pounds. https://youtu.be/nQWGQuLyUCU?t=1035

Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    The military standard is that the stakes should not distort the side surfaces, and they should result in a removal torque no less than 55 and no more than 100 inch-lbs.
    If this is correct the fasteners should require at least 55 inch-pounds to break the staking. Perhaps 30 is not enough to loosen properly fastened gas key screws, but it is enough to detect sheared ones?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Chad clearly distinguishes between autopsy and physical. He has stated that he does not reuse gas keys. I do not believe he is replacing gas keys on every carrier that gets a reverse torque test as part of the physical. He uses a Wheeler's F.A.T. wrench at 30 inch-pounds. https://youtu.be/nQWGQuLyUCU?t=1035

If this is correct the fasteners should require at least 55 inch-pounds to break the staking. Perhaps 30 is not enough to loosen properly fastened gas key screws, but it is enough to detect sheared ones?
    I edited my post for accuracy. It is acceptable to measure torque when loosening a fastener. The value will be approximate, but that is certainly sufficient to verify gas key screws are correctly torqued.

Andy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast