Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 7.62 AR-10 mild Kaboom

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

7.62 AR-10 mild Kaboom

I don’t own anything LMT, curious what their warranty states.

I could go either way on this one. They got you up and running again at what smells like close to their cost?

I don’t know, I’ve gotten better response from HK customer service, which isn’t really known to be outstanding. They just send a replacement.

I’ve never had anything as big as an upper fail though. Which may also be a consideration.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Given the peculiar mode of failure I think they should have handled this differently.

I hope they performed a metallurgical analysis on the cam pin even if the result was kept private.
    Last edited by Disciple; 11-20-21 at 14:11.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The upper is pretty cool. It's a Danish L.E. upper with "POLITI.DK" on the left side. It's a PIC rail upper in black. I'm biased toward the pic rail even though it's not the current fashion.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The upper is pretty cool. It's a Danish L.E. upper with "POLITI.DK" on the left side. It's a PIC rail upper in black. I'm biased toward the pic rail even though it's not the current fashion.
    Slick. Glad he at least got one of the contract over run uppers. I like the quad railed uppers best too.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just curious, how many rounds where on the barrel when it had this failure?

Feedback Score
    I am thinking that the striker was in the forward position and the round being chambered was ignited by the striker being stuck in the forward position. Could have been a case failure where a previous round fired and left the neck of the fired case in the chamber which would stop the follow on round from closing thus the case mouth of the failed case is where the shoulder should have been and a open bolt ignition occurred.

With no support at the base of the bullet the base of the case was sure to expand and do what it appears it did.

I just confirmed that a round can be stopped from chambering and if the trigger is pulled it will sear off and the hammer will impact the striker with the bolt lugs not engaging the barrel extension. Just take a AR and ease it BCG forward till the bolt lugs are at the barrel extension and pull the trigger and see if the hammer does not sear off.
    Last edited by Humpy70; 01-21-22 at 13:36.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The round burst on a trigger pull. There was no sort of slam fire or premature ignition.

This was 100% cam pin failure. Not one shred of evidence points to anything else, and every single piece of the wreckage points to blow back burst. Even LMT acknowledged the cam pin was trashed. It's just that we couldn't get the BCG out to examine it or get pics of it.
    Last edited by markm; 01-21-22 at 13:14.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The round burst on a trigger pull. There was no sort of slam fire or premature ignition.

This was 100% cam pin failure. Not one shred of evidence points to anything else, and every single piece of the wreckage points to blow back burst. Even LMT acknowledged the cam pin was trashed. It's just that we couldn't get the BCG out to examine it or get pics of it.
    What is the expected round count life span of an AR 308 cam pin?
    It seems that if LMT knows it failed prematurely they should have taken better care of you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    What is the expected round count life span of an AR 308 cam pin?
    It seems that if LMT knows it failed prematurely they should have taken better care of you.
    No idea. My guess is that it was just a defective one-off fluke. I'll change an 5.56 cam pin when it looks pretty galled out, but I doubt this had that many rounds on it.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910