Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
BRT reduced gas port gas tube installed.

powder is Varget.
Hmmm. 50/50 mixed suppressed port, or low back-pressure 7.62 suppressed port? What suppressor?

The original DPMS AP-4 with a 7-inch carbine gas tube put some un-godly stress on brass and the bolt carrier group. I'm not sure if anyone tried suppressing those.

LMT's mid-length gas tube allows the gas block to be protected under the rail. The British (with their L129A1) shoot issue 147-150 grain 7.62 NATO and 155-grain Green Spot Match -- they're not going to show undue extreme pressure signs. The British use a Surefire SOCOM RC suppressor, which I believe is a reflex. Are you shooting something long and efficient with higher back-pressure (like a Silencerco Harvester)?

My guess is the British aren't going to see or report pressure signs and case failures because they don't own guns, nor hand-load like Americans. We're going to shoot 168s (for precision) and 175s and 185s for precision past 600 yards. Load long-heavy bullets with a longer bearing surface (like a 208) and you're going to add even more pressure.

It didn't matter that it was a MEN case -- it probably could-would have happened with thick-walled Lake City as well.

Even if LMT sends you a completely new upper, I'd only fire the mid un-suppressed (or limit to Ball and 155s) and cut down or build a rifle-gas 18- or 20-inch barrel.