Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 7.62 AR-10 mild Kaboom

Feedback Score
    Interested in finding out what happened. Doesn’t seem that the trigger could be pulled with the BCG not fully forward or could it? MWS owner here and reloader. I have shot my 16” CL barrel suppressed with a SF SOCOM mini. I have an adjustable gas key from Rubber City armory that was recommended by LMT to solve the over gassing issue.
    The case bulge is suspicious as it would indicate an out of battery firing. Tagged for interest.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Think I should replace the cam pins on my other two MWS bolts ?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Think I should replace the cam pins on my other two MWS bolts ?

PB
    Can't hurt...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    Interested in finding out what happened. Doesn’t seem that the trigger could be pulled with the BCG not fully forward or could it? MWS owner here and reloader. I have shot my 16” CL barrel suppressed with a SF SOCOM mini. I have an adjustable gas key from Rubber City armory that was recommended by LMT to solve the over gassing issue.
    The case bulge is suspicious as it would indicate an out of battery firing. Tagged for interest.
    If the bolt was so far out-of-battery that the bulged portion of the case wasn't chambered (and supported) the hammer could never have hit the firing pin -- its travel arc doesn't allow it to hit the base of the pin (it would have hit the base of the bolt carrier and dissipated its energy).

A bolt cam pin separated at the firing pin hole would have had to crack, separate, and lodge between the upper and carrier (in the cam pin pocket in the upper), allowing the BCG to go forward but not cam the bolt to lock in the extension (giving you a gas-assisted blow-back BCG).

Because it had nowhere to go, the top part of the cam pin (above a firing pin hole separation) may have stopped the carrier group from recoiling to complete extraction, ejection, and cocking.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If the broken part jammed the firing pin protruding from the bolt face, the hammer hitting the carrier could have possibly set it off.

It looks like about the right amount sticking out if the bolt stopped on the back of the barrel extension. A broken cam pin means the lugs on the bolt could be aligned with the lugs on the extension rather than between them.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    Interested in finding out what happened. Doesn’t seem that the trigger could be pulled with the BCG not fully forward or could it?
    We've had dirty MWS sessions where the bolt is not quite fully locked and in battery, but the trigger will drop the hammer. No ignition occurs because the hammer can't strike the firing pin correctly.

Too bad we couldn't inspect the cam pin before returning it to LMT. I wish I'd have taken a pick of the inside of the upper where the gash was. That could very well have been a chunk of cam pin mashed between the carrier and inner receiver wall.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Makes you wonder if these large frame gassers are worth the squeeze… Anything past 4-500 yards and a mag fed bolt gun does as well or better. I know nothing, just an observation.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I think these guns are amazing. If I was stuck in the sandbox, MWS would be my wish. I love bolt guns but a great gasser with 20 rounds is priceless. YMMV

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SFree View Post
    Makes you wonder if these large frame gassers are worth the squeeze… Anything past 4-500 yards and a mag fed bolt gun does as well or better. I know nothing, just an observation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I think these guns are amazing. If I was stuck in the sandbox, MWS would be my wish. I love bolt guns but a great gasser with 20 rounds is priceless. YMMV
    Exactly PB. It's the entire idea behind the REPR concept. The same practical accuracy as a bolt gun, same weight, much faster ability to send multiple rounds down range.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=georgeib;2979075]Exactly PB. It's the entire idea behind the REPR concept. The same practical accuracy as a bolt gun, same weight, much faster ability to send multiple rounds down range.[/

Big question is if LMT takes care of the customer and product.
    Last edited by SFree; 09-20-21 at 05:08. Reason: Never mind

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast