Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holosun 503CU poops the bed, or why you need backup sights

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Holosun 503CU poops the bed, or why you need backup sights

Hey guys,

Over the last few month I have bought three Holsun 503Cu to put on some of the zillion guns I have laying around. On my personal protection weapons I basically only fiddle with Aimpoint, Acog, and RMR. But I don't mind putting "Chinesium" on my pure hobby stuff. Well, this one just went weird. I was shooting my X-95 all day and I had it nice and zeroed. And I had only made maybe two adjustments to the brightness. But, right as I was about to pack up I noticed it was dead as disco. Unfortunately it uses a couple of little screws to hold in the tray so there isn't a way to check the battery unless you have a tiny jewler's screwdriver with you. I was reminded why you really shouldn't skip on the BUIS. Keep them, don't fall for it.

Anyway, later I swapped out the battery and it worked. At first I just assumed the battery must have died after two months....yuck but that is an answer. But something told me to swap it back and sure enough the "dead" battery worked. I decided to ditch it anyway because maybe it is failing and I am just getting intermittent power. I put in a new battery...dead. Then I reseated it again and it worked. Looks like I have a wonky connector or something like that. I guess it is time to send back to Holsun but I am sure they will turn it on and say there isn't anything wrong (and they will appear to be right).

Just a data point, I am not condemning all holosuns. But I do think we should all keep our BUIS.

Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good info...I always have back up sights on all my guns for this reason...optics can fail when you least expect them

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Use the force Greg ! No need for back up sight.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I think it makes the case for skipping buis so you can spend the saved money on Aimpoints.

Feedback Score
    I’ve had an aimpoint break too.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    But MaH aImPoInT!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    With the cost and variety of back up sights these days being very reasonable there is no reason not to have one

Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    But MaH aImPoInT!
    Anything can break, some things, however, have a higher likelihood of breaking than others.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Aimpoints breaking are a very low probability event.

Garbage Chinese optics breaking arent.

I’ve been using Aimpoints for 16 years. I had a Matech rear leave the gun, and broke the post off of front sight in that time.

Aimpoints have been more reliable for me than irons.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    With the cost and variety of back up sights these days being very reasonable there is no reason not to have one

Anything can break, some things, however, have a higher likelihood of breaking than others.
    Agreed on both points.

Feedback Score
    Red dots always get irons, I have the 503 with ACSS and a 403, I think the 503 with the non tray battery compartment is the better option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast