Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aug or Tavor? Pro's and Con's?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Aug or Tavor? Pro's and Con's?

Assuming you are going to get a 5.56 bullpup, what would you get and why? How do these two differ from each other?

Realistically for myself, shots beyond 200 yards are exceedingly rare where I live. Other than paper targets, my shots are mostly against feral hogs and various dogs that threaten me or my livestock. The rifle needs to work off or out of a tractor or a SxS/UTV.

As a sideline, I have considered trying to find a Tavor 7 but, that has not been a viable option financially in today's market when I have looked as they have all been well above MSRP so, I opted for KAC solutions at the time. An SR-15 or SR-25 with a can is pretty long and cumbersome when I am out doing chores and not on a dedicated hog hunt or looking to put down livestock killing dogs.

I am an average-sized (medium polo shirt) middle-aged man who shoots right-handed generally with a suppressor. A long string of fire for me is a field full of feral hogs, are 12~14 rounds in 30~45 seconds which is the most I can recall shooting at one time. Normally, 3~5 rounds are the normal scenario. With dogs, it is generally single shots with long pauses between shots due to conflicts with cows or the 'backstop' as they move. My KAC's excel in this role but, they are simply too long to find them in my hands while doing chores even without the suppressor.

A 16" barreled bullpup will be about MK-18 OAL without the NFA tax stamp so, it also has an advantage when I am working with a friend and leave the rifle in the UTV when I may 'wander' down the fence line or behind some trees where you could argue direct control of the NFA was or was not done so, I have ruled out an SBR option along with the suppressor in this role though, I will probably install QD's for those times I'm out alone with a can available.

TIA,
    Sid

Feedback Score
    Have shot and cleaned the Tavor X95 multi times but lower round counts. Have not shot the AUG but it’s been in use by many countries for a long time and it’s reputation seems pretty good beyond some shitty made Aussie ones if I remember correctly. The X95 is a more modern design and seems beautifully made and haven’t had one hiccup with it. Uses AR mags though can get an AUG that uses AR mags. Taking the bolt group apart and back together again is a little unintuitive which is my only complaint. Couldn’t really go wrong with either. The AUG is a clever design and looks sexy. Don’t really like the no trigger guard. The X95 I shoot has the trigger guard option and I recommend that definitely.

Feedback Score
    I've owned a number of bullpups, Steyr AUG A1 and A2, FAMAS, and son has a Tavor. I think the AUG is the best made of all of them and the most ergonomic. I had very good luck with mine and regret selling them. Suppressors will not be as effective on the bullpup, but I would opt for the longer 20 barrel on the AUG. I used an M4-2000 on my AUGs back in the day.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Both are great, battle proven arms.

Either if a good choice.

I find the Aug to shoot much softer and more accurate than the X95.

However there is a new aftermarket spring to supposedly tame it.

I do find the X95 mag release more ergonomic and remember the Aug AR mag version has no bolt release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I own the Tavor and love it. The AUG is on my list of needs. My answer is both over time, pick the one that works for you best and go with it first. I really don't think either will disappoint.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAlsatian View Post
    ... Suppressors will not be as effective on the bullpup, but I would opt for the longer 20 barrel on the AUG. I used an M4-2000 on my AUGs back in the day.
    I figured port noise and muzzle report would be more than a conventional rifle because they are closer to my ear. As long as they are ear safe with a can I'm good.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I love my Aug but I’m a little annoyed they stopped chroming the barrels.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I had an AUG in the 90’s. Sold it to put toward a down payment on a house.

During the previous election, I was buying my ‘Hillary will ban it’ rifle. I narrow it down to a current AUG vs the X95. I ended up with the X95. Modern features and more flexibility for accessories.

While I did pick the X95, I do still have a pang of regret…
    Think it would have been the same if the decision was reversed.

So the correct answer is to buy both!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Garand Thumb just did a video of the AUG. You may find it of interest.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The AUG is the way to go. Especially with a NATO stock. The reliability and long term durability of the AUG is astounding and legendary. The gas system of the AUG is entirely contained on the quick change barrel. If you ever (very unlikely) manage to get the gun fired enough to be fouled enough to slow down more than the adverse setting can handle or you have any problem with the gas system, just change barrels and keep going!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast