Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat 300 HAMR versus other options?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I say buy what your needs dictate. I'm not following how piston or not comes into play.

We're living in the golden age of AR and cartridge choice. Try to enjoy it and again, buy what your needs dictate or merely what you want or will enjoy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudaemon View Post
    I don't see enough posts acknowledging the benefits of 300 blk supers out of an SBR. In a 5-8" barrel, 5.56 is neutered, often unreliable, the flash and sound make it difficult to deal with, especially in a home defense situation. In 300 blk, you have all updside compared to the short 5.56 outside of cost/ availability, and the option to go suppressed with subs. Any legal defensive uses will occur well in the range of 300 blk. Most hunting happens within 150 yards as far as I can tell. So unless you're doing long distance shooting for fun/ competition or are one of the rare people who shoot that far for hunting purposes, a lot of the downsides people talk about are largely hypothetical. If you think short barrels are useless, that's a different discussion. But performance with supers between the 2 calibers at the shorter barrel lengths isn't much of a debate. The idea that 300 blk is only useful for subs is strange to me as well. If that's all someone cared about, they could save money and go with a pistol caliber. A subsonic 300 blk isn't a rifle cartridge anymore; it's an expensive pistol cartridge.
    Couldn’t say it any better. I know that the 300 isn’t the be all end all, but for some things they are really great performers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Bill Wilson is an avid hog hunter and developed the 300 Hammr specifically for shooting hogs with an AR.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    What is the max distance you will be shooting?

If 300 yards in, why not a Galil ACE or AK platform in 7.62x39?

If shooting beyond that, I would look for an AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor or .308. DDV3-5 comes to mind.

I applaud Bill Wilson and his team for developing the .300 HAMMR platform. My issue again is cost unless you intend to reload ammo and use it strictly for hunting. If one wishes to train frequently with the platform, other calibers can get the job done as well as or better than the 300 HAMMR as a “ranch” or hunting rifle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    What is the max distance you will be shooting?

If 300 yards in, why not a Galil ACE or AK platform in 7.62x39?

If shooting beyond that, I would look for an AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor or .308. DDV3-5 comes to mind.
    At this point in life, I am sticking to AR-15/AR-10 platforms. I have 5.56 and 7.62x51 options but, they are too heavy and bulky for this role and I don't want to break them down and set them up constantly. The 300HAM'R gives me psuedo-30-30 ballistics in a platform that is a "normal" AR-15 platform.

I can and have reloaded in the past. No, I'm not going to "schools or training" to bang this round out by the 100's. My SR-25 is a hammer and with a thermal mounted is a real boat anchor and my SR-15 is one honey of a rifle but, 5.56 is a bit weak for things right now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    At this point in life, I am sticking to AR-15/AR-10 platforms. I have 5.56 and 7.62x51 options but, they are too heavy and bulky for this role and I don't want to break them down and set them up constantly. The 300HAM'R gives me psuedo-30-30 ballistics in a platform that is a "normal" AR-15 platform.

I can and have reloaded in the past. No, I'm not going to "schools or training" to bang this round out by the 100's. My SR-25 is a hammer and with a thermal mounted is a real boat anchor and my SR-15 is one honey of a rifle but, 5.56 is a bit weak for things right now.
    Well, if you’re just using it for Hawgs on the ranch, then go for it. I have a friend who owns a Wilson 6.8 SPC and loves it for its intended purpose (hunting). I just hope they still make the cartridge 10-15 years for now. It would appear 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC may still be around 10-15 years from now.

Another option would be one of the new tactical Henry 30-30 lever actions. They have threaded barrels and XS is making a Scout mount for it. I own a Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum (CSBL model, all stainless with XS scout mount). I love that gun. Perfect for < 100 yards in hunting.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Nobody has mentioned the 350 Legend?
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    I like the concept but I don't think it surpasses the HAM'R enough to justify the requirement of custom brass.

In 2005 I proposed a .40 cartridge based a lengthened Grendel case to Bill Alexander. He liked the idea but did not have the time to pursue it. I still think that would pack the most punch of any double-stack AR15 cartridge.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    350 legend is a straight walled cartridge for use when normal rifle calibers are restricted. I think the OP wants max performance from a standard AR 15 set up. 300 Ham’R definitely does the trick on paper. I just have a hard time justifying it when the AR-10 options out there are tremendous right now.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    7.62x39 upper from PWS and duramags. You don't even need a complete rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast