Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SB Tactical brace - included RE any good?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

SB Tactical brace - included RE any good?

I finally did a couple pistol builds a while back and have two SBA3's. Each came with a receiver extension. On SB's website, they list an RE for $30 that is said to be milspec and 7075 and that's about it. I would assume it's the same thing that was included with the braces, but who knows? The price makes me question how good these are. Anyone know who makes them? Are they good to go, or should they be replaced by a known quantity (Colt, BCM, etc, etc.)? Leaning toward replacing them myself. Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No, I'd leave it. There are plenty of high quality 7075 REs out there in that price range.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If the SB ones have good threads and a smooth, straight bore of the correct depth what is the concern? Strength?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    If the SB ones have good threads and a smooth, straight bore of the correct depth what is the concern? Strength?
    Yes, exactly. As you know, with metals, just because it looks okay based upon visual inspection, doesn't mean it's okay structurally. I take a lot of care to select other parts from trusted manufacturers, why not with something as critical as the RE? If stuff is getting real and I have to mortar it to clear a jam, or if I run out of ammo and have to use it as a club (c'mon, happens all the time), or (much more likely) like a klutz, I trip and fall and slam it into the ground, I don't want to find out then that it was made by the lowest bidder.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mine is less noisy than my BCM and LMT tubes. Tried swapping buffers/springs/uppers and the result was the same.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Know1 View Post
    Yes, exactly. As you know, with metals, just because it looks okay based upon visual inspection, doesn't mean it's okay structurally.
    Sure, I've seen Chinesium tools fail hilariously, but I feel OK with a made-in-USA 7075 receiver extension from a popular brand like SB Tactical, assuming dimensions and finish check out. No objection if you have a different standard.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KITTEN_FRENZY View Post
    Mine is less noisy than my BCM and LMT tubes. Tried swapping buffers/springs/uppers and the result was the same.
    I was going to check this myself but I realize I have forgotten which is BCM and which is SB. Is there any easy way to distinguish them? The LMT is obvious.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I was going to check this myself but I realize I have forgotten which is BCM and which is SB. Is there any easy way to distinguish them? The LMT is obvious.
    The BCM will have dry film lube. The SB tactical will not.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Inside, outside, or both? I did not notice it on the BCM intermediate length (A5) extension I got last year. LMT uses an obvious gray coating that feels and wears differently.

Feedback Score
    It would be on the inside of the tube.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast