Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beretta APX grip module for 92 mags...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    I suspect that if Beretta could have made 92 mags work in the APX, they would have. Engineering a chassis system for at least three frame sizes and therefore mag bodies probably requires enough work already without then being slaved to mag release placement and other dimensional things.
    Unless of course they are making more profit off other newer mags due to pre-existing supply of 92 mags.

TED

Feedback Score
    Not everyone (dare I say most) who buys or is interested in the APX owns or is interested in a DA/SA metal framed pistol with a frame mounted safety. Not everyone who owns a 92 series has a bunch of mags.

The Sig P320 series, all HK pistols models, CZ P10 vs P07 vs the 75 series, different Walthers models, so on and so forth also do not have mags that interchange with every other gun they made old and new. M&P handguns also do not work with their older metal framed pistols or their SD VE. Springfield XD and XDM mags do not interchange. Glock does not have this issue ONLY because they only basically make one gun with different grip and barrel lengths and pretend it's a whole different model..

I think this is because different models and designs call for differences in grip angle and geometry as well as differences in where mag releases are positioned. Then you also have to think of how the magwell of the APX differs with the 92 series pistols. The APX mags have an area at the bottom that is designed to be able to grab onto and rip the mag out durring a malfunction.

APX mags are of the same quality as others; however, they are much cheaper than other mags. All of the APX mags have a simular MSRP despite being different capacities. The 10, 13, 15, 17, and 21 rounders all cost about the same. The great thing about the APX is that BerettaUSA routinely puts them on sale or offers a 20% - 50% off discount code. That means their mags sell for under $15 -$25 each with free shipping depending on the sale. The cheapest I seen APX mags for was $10 each before Covid.
    Last edited by Styx; 10-08-21 at 08:05.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    Unless of course they are making more profit off other newer mags due to pre-existing supply of 92 mags.

TED
    I mean, maybe. You see that argument a lot. Very few manufacturers have carried a magazine platform to platform. You see it with the P320/P250, some of the CZ stuff, and a couple HKs, but it's otherwise not common. Maybe there's more money to be made off of mags, but there's also a need to spend money to develop the magazine from the ground up. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle - some of it is "just to make you buy mags" and some of it is because it would be too much work and/or concession to make an existing mag work in the new gun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12