Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 14.5" barrel zero/traj for 50yd zero for various cartridges

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 99Bubba View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    I might be able to work up something with Strelok+. Is there a particular optic and mount height you're interested in? It'll all be approximate, and based around data I have on hand for KS in 110 degree heat with 70% humidity.
    Yes please...for a 14.5 " barrel M4, carry handle sight . I will zero at 50 yds, and never shoot over 200 yds.
    Just to try to clear up some issues, on a typical AR carbine with iron sights, the sight height over bore center line is usually about 2.6" or 2.7" It can actually change depending on your sight adjustment. Most people use 2.6" in their ballistic calculator calculations (for sight height), and this should work fine.

The flat top surface of the standard AR upper receiver (top of the rail) is 1.250" above the bore center line. Most scope mounts for an AR seem to put the scope center line about 1" or 1.5" above that. So the number you would plug into the ballistic calculator for sight height would be about 2.25" or 2.75"

If you plug different numbers (for sight height) into a ballistic calculator with all other numbers being equal, you will probably see that small differences are not very significant, but big differences are. That being said, I try to be as exact as possible. I feel like it gives you more room for error with other factors like ammo type, temperature, etc.

Joe Mamma
    Last edited by Joe Mamma; 09-15-21 at 10:28.
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    sorry, double post
    Last edited by Joe Mamma; 09-15-21 at 10:28.
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    ...A graph for a 14.5" barrel M4 showing the trajectory with a 50 yd zero with a 100 yd zero for M193 to see the difference would be great...if one has a graph to share...
    Did you use the search button? There are numerous threads with this info. Did you click on the link I provided in response number 7? I sure miss IG.

Yes I am grumpy this morning.

Feedback Score
    ...thank you...I found MOLON's postd , but only for 16" barrels, if there was a graph for 14.5" barrel the graph was deleted by the administrators...

Feedback Score
    ...thank you...I found MOLON's postd , but only for 16" barrels, if there was a graph for 14.5" barrel the graph was deleted by the administrators...
    One more time!!! Did you click on the link in response number 7???????????? A member spent time preparing graphics on this issue with the 14.5 inch barrel with the loads you asked about!!!!!!!!!!.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Why isn’t “everyone” running 2.5” above the bore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very good point. I plug in 2.6" above the bore axis and measured muzzle velocities when using ballistic calculators for standard iron sights and my Aimpoint. I verified the accuracy of the data from muzzle to 300 yards in 25 yard increments and it was right on the money.
    Last edited by T2C; 09-15-21 at 14:16.
    Train 2 Win

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123